Author Topic: Does the Kawi C14 ruin you for other Bikes???  (Read 16038 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: Does the Kawi C14 ruin you for other Bikes???
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2013, 05:47:22 PM »
Mo is better! Setting up a bike to go where my others don't care to

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline JerBear

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2013, 08:18:32 PM »
I've owned a lot of different bikes but the C-14 does it best.  The only bike I've owned that I wish I still had was a KZ1300 inline six but had no bags.  It was a rocket but can't come close to the Connie on the curves.
2008 C14 Non-ABS

Offline phildobaggins

• Fuelly
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2013, 08:12:49 PM »
The C14 makes me appreciate small/lighter/less serious bikes. It makes me want a dual sport or SuMo badly.

Offline tbanzer

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2013, 03:36:36 PM »
I cant think of a bike that is being made today I would trade my c14 for. My only reason for trading would to have the power of the zx14 in the c14s package. My xr650 cures my offroad itch.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2013, 05:19:09 PM »
I cant think of a bike that is being made today I would trade my c14 for. My only reason for trading would to have the power of the zx14 in the c14s package.

But, of course, there is no such thing.

Although you DO have the option of turning the C14 into a semi ZX-C14 by swapping the headers, throttle bodies, exhaust, and fuel injection control mapping....  Iffen you have the time, the $, and the braveness :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2013, 05:37:02 PM »

Although you DO have the option of turning the C14 into a semi ZX-C14 by swapping the headers, throttle bodies, exhaust, and fuel injection control mapping....  Iffen you have the time, the $, and the braveness :)
That worked for me.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2013, 07:44:56 PM »

Offline pistole

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2013, 09:59:06 PM »
i want the 6 cylinder Honda CBX

Offline spatten

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2013, 10:09:31 PM »
Looking at maybe a 90's ZX-1100?

I had one and it was a great bike....but, if you have a Connie, why not get something lighter that handles well or a fun project with character, like in your first post?

I got my GSXR as a trashed race bike with no fairings for $800.  I put Renthals and a ZX-6 tail on it just for fun.  It still handles like a supersport and is feather lite.  I probably only have about $1000 in it and it's super fun.

Offline seagiant

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2013, 02:15:44 AM »
Hi Spatten,
                    Yes! You are probably right if I was "normal" 5'8" and 175 lbs. However I am 6'8 and 275 lbs. so a small bike it not going to cut it for me! I will admit when you put a ZX-1100 and a C14 side by side there's a lot in common. I think the C14 is about 100 lbs heavier!

Does the ZX-1100 have plenty of room for tall people in your opinion? Oh yea,thats a nice looking bike you have there and it does look like fun!

Offline spatten

« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2013, 06:57:13 AM »
I thought the ZX-11 was really roomy and it was a great bike.  That was a long time ago.

The front pushed in tight turns, but I think all big bikes will do that.

Yeah, small bikes will not work for you....   

Offline clogan

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2013, 07:16:51 AM »
I would jump for a C-14 that was 100 lbs lighter...I never ride two-up.
Wonder if there is such a thing? Multistrada, perhaps? Diavel Strada?

Nah...too spendy.

Maybe a Vee Strom? Versys? Super Tenere'?

Always dreaming.....
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline spatten

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2013, 07:36:30 AM »
I had to decide on a used Multi or a used C 14.  I went with the C 14 for weather protection and comfort.  However, the Multi will crush it for sport riding and still has plenty of leg room.  Same power and more than 200 lbs lighter, damn.

I would have struggled to get the C if I didn't still have a sportbike in the garage.

Offline seagiant

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2013, 01:46:06 PM »
Hi,
     Yea! I sat on a Multistrada (while looking at a K1200GT) and fell in love! I would want the C14 first anyway, but if I had the coin a Multi would be in the garage beside it!!! The ZX-11 might be to close to my C14 to be a difference but I see 93 models go for a short $2000 in my area and looked like an option for a guy my size and something to wrench on!

Offline spatten

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2013, 02:18:36 PM »
$2,000 for a ZX-11 is a steal.  Great bike.

Don't wheelie it for too long, as it will starve the oil pump after a while.

Offline tbanzer

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2013, 03:34:41 PM »

My guess is a stock zx14 would still walk by your bike badly. Cant make up for the lower compression ratio and whimpy cams in the c14.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2013, 05:15:23 PM »
I would jump for a C-14 that was 100 lbs lighter...I never ride two-up.

I, too, would jump on a smaller Concours 14.  And I also never ride two-up.  Keep it the same feature-wise, just lighter and lower.  But that is a lot to ask... ain't never gonna happen!  :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2013, 05:21:54 PM »
My guess is a stock zx14 would still walk by your bike badly. Cant make up for the lower compression ratio and whimpy cams in the c14.

And the C14 would still be heavier because it is nicer, more reliable, better frame, more features, shaft drive, bag supports, etc, etc.

The cams in the C14 are not wimpy, they are variable- which is another nicer option (for fuel economy, drivability, reliability) that is also more expensive.  When pushed, they open up just fine.

I didn't say it would *be* a ZX14, I said it would could be a pseudo-ZX-C14.  Of course the ZX will still be significantly faster.  But after the mods I listed, I believe the difference would be far less than most people would expect.  Of course, mine is speculation, I would leave it to the people who actually have done it to address it in more detail.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2013, 05:28:41 PM »
max, easy on the nooBs?

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline mike-s4

« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2013, 06:05:09 PM »
I loved my ZX11's. Fit me like a glove. Real comfy and better top end than my zg14. 
Bulletproof. All kawasaki's are bulletproof.
No hard bags and chain drive drove me to my connie.