Author Topic: brake pads completely gone  (Read 15893 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: brake pads completely gone
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2013, 02:57:42 PM »
Beer!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2013, 03:15:17 PM »
Yep, you got us on that one. Not sure who conjured up that wacky way to write a date but ours is truly.... wrong.

The Germans tend to use the timing calendar week, which is really a pretty good idea as long as all the calendars around the room have a number for each calendar week, which a lot of American calendars do not. And 8:00 O'Clock only comes once a day in Germany and it is always in the morning.

It got so confusing with the DD/MM/YY vs. MM/DD/YY format working in the US for a German firm that I went over to just writing the date as 12 Oct 2013 'cause no one can confuse that. But if an American sets up a meeting in Europe for 2/7/14, you cannot even tell if you will be sweating or shivering on that date....

Brian

<snip>

Just as the date is 06/11/13.....................not what you guys write...........or should that be right or rite or wright etc etc....................Must get beer..............lovely beer   :chugbeer: :chugbeer: :chugbeer:
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Charlie747

« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2013, 03:50:10 PM »
Yep the world has gone mad Brian  ;D

Offline Charlie747

« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2013, 04:00:07 PM »
Just so you guys can get some practice in speaking proper English................Please study this educational video .................and yes sorry but I'm  :offtopic:

Monty Python RAF Banter

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2013, 10:02:16 PM »

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2013, 08:49:30 AM »
You're English?  ;)
I am NOT!!!
I am British.
One Grandparent was Scottish, one was Welsh and the other 2 were English, therefore British.
I was born in Germany but in a British Military Hospital.
My passport says British Citizen.

If you are confused this should help explain the difference.

George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2013, 08:54:16 AM »
It doesn't help at all.  You made my brane hurt.  I'm half English.  Pretty sure most of my descendents on my mom's side were English as well.  Therefore English, not British for me.... I think.  I have to go take some medication now.  ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2013, 03:42:20 PM »
It doesn't help at all.  You made my brane hurt.  I'm half English.  Pretty sure most of my descendents on my mom's side were English as well.  Therefore English, not British for me.... I think.  I have to go take some medication now.  ;)

I knew it...
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2013, 03:45:21 PM »
It got so confusing with the DD/MM/YY vs. MM/DD/YY format working in the US for a German firm that I went over to just writing the date as 12 Oct 2013 'cause no one can confuse that.

Brian, I resorted to the same thing. Specially since I write in Metric and US-American photography and motorcycle forums, because it really is more legible.
BTW, Germans also love writing YYYY-MM-DD so when you file something, it'll be correctly displayed, but it required some getting used to.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2013, 05:56:34 PM »
Got some kids out there you're not sure about?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2013, 06:00:22 PM »
I'm sure about every one of my kids, Gary. ;)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2013, 06:21:26 PM »
OFFTOPIC:

Yeah, I actually had a Dutch friend explain that way it 'should' be and I have to say that I agree with him on this completely: the format should be YYYY/MM/DD/HH:MM:SS.S  to any degree needed. If limited information is available, it still fits perfectly in that format and cannot be misread. But alas, we probably cannot change the world at this late date (yeah, that's a bad pun).

I get a fair amount of curiosity when writing the dates in the 07 Nov 2013 format here in the US but still, everyone understands it after they think about it for a while :-)  BTW- the three letter standard comes from mixing German and English- no two months can be confused in either language using three letters but two is not enough and four is not needed: example, JUne and JUly both need the third letter but neither needs the fourth.

Brian

Brian, I resorted to the same thing. Specially since I write in Metric and US-American photography and motorcycle forums, because it really is more legible.
BTW, Germans also love writing YYYY-MM-DD so when you file something, it'll be correctly displayed, but it required some getting used to.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline pistole

« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2013, 08:41:59 PM »
- would have to say that in the overwhelming rest of the world , dates are written as :

Date/Month/Year

- it very obviously makes sense because you have the sequence there (day,month, year).

- only the Americans seem to think otherwise , apparently.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2013, 09:11:24 PM »
Certainly in Western Europe but that does not ease the confusion between 2/7/14 and 7/2/14 . The cure is to write it completely differently and unambiguously: 2 Jul 2014. Everyone follows that, even non- English speakers because the three letters MUST mean a month and they can deduce which one it is (our calendar is based on the Roman calendar after all).

And I still like the German KW or calendar week mechanism but it is virtually unknown in the US.

Brian

- would have to say that in the overwhelming rest of the world , dates are written as :

Date/Month/Year

- it very obviously makes sense because you have the sequence there (day,month, year).

- only the Americans seem to think otherwise , apparently.

Offline Charlie747

« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2013, 02:54:20 PM »
I am NOT!!!
I am British.
One Grandparent was Scottish, one was Welsh and the other 2 were English, therefore British.
I was born in Germany but in a British Military Hospital.
My passport says British Citizen.

If you are confused this should help explain the difference.

What about the isle of white ? lmao

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2013, 03:29:07 PM »
Glad to see you back!

Offline Charlie747

« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2013, 03:34:41 PM »
Glad to see you back!

Who me?  Site Crasher? lol

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2013, 03:37:48 PM »
No, I believe that was LW that did all the crashing wasn't it?  It was on his watch.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2013, 03:41:33 PM »
No, I believe that was LW that did all the crashing wasn't it?  It was on his watch.

Or OC...  ;) ;D

Offline Charlie747

« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2013, 03:50:47 PM »

Or OC...  ;) ;D

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: