Author Topic: Well, the bike's in the shop for some maintenance.  (Read 8992 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Well, the bike's in the shop for some maintenance.
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2013, 07:47:30 AM »
I've been tempting fate since Aug of 07.   I really wanted to get this valve check out of the way before I tackled that project.  It's done and now I can do it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2013, 09:23:15 AM »
It's done and now I can do it.

OK, we are going to quote you on that.....
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2013, 09:47:50 AM »
I've been tempting fate since Aug of 07.   I really wanted to get this valve check out of the way before I tackled that project.  It's done and now I can do it.

OK, we are going to quote you on that.....

He just said that now he can do it, not that he will or when.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2013, 10:20:24 AM »
Fine point, but absolutely correct.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2013, 12:39:19 PM »
He just said that now he can do it, not that he will or when.

Fine point, but absolutely correct.

Yeesh.   ::)

Yes, I thought of that before I replied, but I had hoped nobody would notice.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2013, 01:15:45 PM »
I didn't either, but thank goodness for Conrad.  I owe him a beer for that one.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2013, 04:26:25 AM »
 :)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2013, 11:20:27 AM »
Valve clearances at 55k

Cylinder 1 Intake 005 005 Exhaust 007 008
Cylinder 2 Intake 004 005 Exhaust 007 008
Cylinder 3 Intake 005 005 Exhaust 008 008
Cylinder 4 Intake 005 004 Exhaust 007 007

Valve clearances at 18k or so...

Still trying to find them..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2013, 04:28:15 PM »
Spark plug gap spot on at .35.  Plugs a tad sooty but otherwise look normal.  The tech chastised me for being too kind to the bike.  I'll try to rectify that this Sunday.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2013, 11:48:22 PM »
Spark plug gap spot on at .35.  Plugs a tad sooty but otherwise look normal.  The tech chastised me for being too kind to the bike.  I'll try to rectify that this Sunday.

going to church? I don't think that's what the mechanic meant...
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2013, 04:07:10 AM »
Yeah, that's right, Martin.  I'm going to pray that my plugs look better at 110K miles... :rotflmao: I rather think I'll be on the road this Sunday for a 300 mile jaunt across Virginia.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2013, 07:55:28 AM »

Amazes me that Kawi sez to replace plugs every 7500 miles and they are iridium. Does anyone do that?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2013, 08:39:49 AM »
I'm sure that there might be some who follow that recommendation.  It would be pretty pricey, though, unless they did it themselves.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2013, 01:30:21 PM »
Valve clearances at 55k

Cylinder 1 Intake 005 005 Exhaust 007 008
Cylinder 2 Intake 004 005 Exhaust 007 008
Cylinder 3 Intake 005 005 Exhaust 008 008
Cylinder 4 Intake 005 004 Exhaust 007 007

Valve clearances at 18k or so...

Still trying to find them..
I assume that was his before measurements.... ;)

What did he set them to? (after measurement) and did he give you a map with the shims and thier locations?

Just asking....

Jim, those look to be at the bottom or below the acceptable values, but without the .000X (4th decimal place) we'll (you also) never know  ;D ;D ;D
I used combined feelers to give me .0005" accuracy for my go/no go
Hopefully he set them at the upper limits  ;)  this time

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2013, 03:27:23 PM »
Amazes me that Kawi sez to replace plugs every 7500 miles and they are iridium. Does anyone do that?

It is no more ridiculous than their valve checking intervals.  Well, maybe it is more ridiculous.  They are both ridiculous.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2013, 04:37:26 PM »
I assume that was his before measurements.... ;)

What did he set them to? (after measurement) and did he give you a map with the shims and thier locations?

Just asking....

Jim, those look to be at the bottom or below the acceptable values, but without the .000X (4th decimal place) we'll (you also) never know  ;D ;D ;D
I used combined feelers to give me .0005" accuracy for my go/no go
Hopefully he set them at the upper limits  ;)  this time

Nope, he measured them and buttoned it up.  No shims were harmed in the procedure.  If I were going to do it, and I'm not, I'd put everything into the center of the adjustments.   I had this done by a Kwak tech on purpose because if anything goes south it's on them, not me.  So I'm happy with it.  The bike runs fine.  ;)

Offline jsa

« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2013, 09:10:15 AM »
Nope, he measured them and buttoned it up.  No shims were harmed in the procedure.  If I were going to do it, and I'm not, I'd put everything into the center of the adjustments.  I had this done by a Kwak tech on purpose because if anything goes south it's on them, not me.  So I'm happy with it.  The bike runs fine.  ;)

The flip side of this is that you have to keep taking it back to the dealer at 15K intervals to "keep it on them" and that is probably a good idea with 6 valves that may already be past the limit.  I had the same situation with my bike, at 35K there were 14 valves either on the edge or just past it, just like they had been on the 17K valve check,  but it took a lot less time to pull the cams and change all 16 shims than it would take to do another valve check at 50K.  I put all 16 valves as close to the "loose" limit that I could and think this is a lifetime valve adjustment, I probably will never know for sure because I plan to replace the bike at 100K and at this point I don't see any need to ever check the valves again.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2013, 09:17:08 AM »
The way I'm riding now, 15k miles would be about 3 years...  I can live with that. ;)