Author Topic: Not enough battery power to start this morning  (Read 16146 times)

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
Not enough battery power to start this morning
« on: March 01, 2013, 07:31:51 AM »
I will admit, I am a fair weather rider. When the rain started, I stopped riding and then it hasn't been raining in quite a while, but I don't like to ride to work when it's in the 30's (F) as I go to work early, so it has been just over 3 months since I have ridden the bike. And of course, it wouldn't start this morning. I kinda expected that and had thought about starting it a few times in between to let it run and charge the battery but I didn't.

I have an 09 and there was still some juice, just not enough. I have never used a trickle charger, but it seems like maybe I should get one since this is normal for wintertime for me (have been riding since 1996).

The biggest question is, should I buy a new battery or should I try to charge the one I have? I only have around 12,000 miles on the bike.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline tjpgi

Re: Not enough battery power to start this morning
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 07:47:01 AM »
I would say if the battery is original, replace it , attach a pig tail to your battery, and use a trickle charger when the bike is at prolonged rest or during extreme temps. I have a 09 with the original battery that always is connected to a trickle charger when not in use.
2011 GSXR 1000
2009 Concours ABS
1976 KZ900
1991 Sportster XLH 1200

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 07:47:41 AM »
new w/battery tender

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 07:52:00 AM »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 08:02:03 AM »
So, is there a preferred brand for battery tenders/float chargers?

I probably should have invested in one years ago, but never have. I have a plug right near the bike and can hang it on the wall or make a shelf for it that would be perfect.
Scott
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline connie1

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 08:07:07 AM »
I'll make a vote the other way.  Pull the battery and clean up the contacts , put it on a charger, re install, apply pigtail and tender.
 The battery is not by any means old.  A little care and attention will likely perk it up.  ( kinda like SO) 
If it doesn't perk up then change it.
A Honda tender with desulphating function is what I use. ( Seems to breath a little more life into batteries.)
Man do I love this bike! Red '09

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 08:16:29 AM »
So, is there a preferred brand for battery tenders/float chargers?

I probably should have invested in one years ago, but never have. I have a plug right near the bike and can hang it on the wall or make a shelf for it that would be perfect.

I use this one.

~$25 at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0123-Junior-Charger/dp/B000CITK8S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362150857&sr=8-1&keywords=battery+tender

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 08:32:53 AM »
Depends on how old the battery is and how long it sat discharged. Mine's 3 years old, never used a tender and it still starts the bike no problem and shows 14.1v. The only time it sat for an extended period was when I was overseas for 3 months last year. Got home and it started the bike right up and showed 14.1v.

motocopter

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 08:33:07 AM »
I use this one.

Same here on two bikes. My 2K8Z1K battery will be five years in a few months and still starts the beast when called to duty.  :D That battery is only a fraction in size to the C14 battery.

Offline thundermax

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 09:33:53 AM »
Ditto on the tender Jr. at Amazon. Ditto on working with the old battery first.

Right now I am doing this on my aunt's car. Rarely used, battery went flat. Thing about a tender is they require at least 3 volts existing in the battery before they will begin working. Connected to aunt's battery, just got flashing red signal. Then I put the old fashioned charger on it for a few hours, built up the volts, re-connected the tender Jr., and it worked. After a few days went over and it was still charging, ie, red signal still on constantly. Disconnected and the battery had enough volts to start the car. Rode around about an hour, came back, parked the car, re-connected tender Jr. and it continued charging. So now if tender Jr. never changes to constant green signal, most likely the battery will never fully charge and something has gone bad in it and needs to be replaced.

So if after connecting tender Jr. and your battery never reaches constant green signal, your c14 battery needs to be replaced.

I am not a technician but this is what I would do. To err on the careful side, buy a new battery after this.
Riding 46 years. In order, 1958 Cushman 721 Highlander, 1960 Cushman Super Eagle, 1971 Honda SL 100, 1974 Yamaha RD 350, 1975 Honda 750 Four, 1971 Honda SL 175, 1998 Yamaha Vmax, 2005 Yamaha Vmax, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2012 Kawasaki Concours Arabian Red.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 09:43:51 AM »
So, maybe I should get one of these instead:

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0128-Plus-Charger/dp/B00068XCQU/ref=sr_1_6?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1362156147&sr=1-6&keywords=battery+charger

Double the price, but I may be able to save the current battery with it if it doesn't have 3v in it.
Scott

Offline thundermax

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 09:51:07 AM »
There you go! Perfect for every man's garage! Thanks for the post!
Riding 46 years. In order, 1958 Cushman 721 Highlander, 1960 Cushman Super Eagle, 1971 Honda SL 100, 1974 Yamaha RD 350, 1975 Honda 750 Four, 1971 Honda SL 175, 1998 Yamaha Vmax, 2005 Yamaha Vmax, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2012 Kawasaki Concours Arabian Red.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 10:10:27 AM »
So, maybe I should get one of these instead:

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0128-Plus-Charger/dp/B00068XCQU/ref=sr_1_6?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1362156147&sr=1-6&keywords=battery+charger

Double the price, but I may be able to save the current battery with it if it doesn't have 3v in it.

I would have bought this one if I didn't already have a couple of standard chargers.    :thumbs:

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 01:26:03 PM »
This place sell an AGM battery and a free maintainer/charger for 66 bucks, shipped.

http://www.impactbattery.com/ytx14-bs-moto-classic-agm-yuasa-replacement.html
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 02:19:07 PM »
This place sell an AGM battery and a free maintainer/charger for 66 bucks, shipped.

http://www.impactbattery.com/ytx14-bs-moto-classic-agm-yuasa-replacement.html

Crap. I need it faster than they could get it to me...  Great find though.
Scott

Offline TallyRex

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2013, 02:41:51 PM »
Also, just running the engine for 5-10 minutes is not a good idea to charge the battery.  You'd need to ride the bike for at least 20 miles to get the moisture out of the fuel.  I've got 3  bikes and a battery tender is always hooked up to one of them and I change frequently.  A battery will last longer if it is kept close to or at full charge.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2013, 02:56:08 PM »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2013, 02:58:24 PM »
I'll make a vote the other way.  Pull the battery and clean up the contacts , put it on a charger, re install, apply pigtail and tender.   The battery is not by any means old.  A little care and attention will likely perk it up.   If it doesn't perk up then change it.  A Honda tender with desulphating function is what I use. ( Seems to breath a little more life into batteries.)

I agree he can try, but it really *is* is pretty old condition now.  A 4 year old battery that is left to sit for months in the cold, dead, multiple times, is probably sulfated badly enough to warrant replacement.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline connie1

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2013, 03:52:06 PM »
Cold to a battery is -25C. Old for a battery  is 10 years.  A quality battery should last at least 8 years if it's never allowed to drain. If it sits completely drained at that kind of temp the acid will freeze and it will be hooped.  If he had enough juice to turn the bike over it wouldn't have been frozen.  You can tell a frozen battery because it is bulged to the sides. Once it's bulged there is no way to get it going again as there is internal damage.  A frozen battery will only produce as many volts as there are cells that aren't damaged.  They usually produce nothing for amperage.
It costs very little to try to get a battery going again.  It's a complete loss if you just go buy a new one.

I've gained a lot of battery knowledge by having about thirty different vehicles and equipment that each have a battery.  I've had quad batteries that have lasted upwards of 12 years,  parked all winter, enduring -45 C temps.  My current batteries in my 140 hp JD are 13 years old and test as good as new ones, but that machine is started just about daily.  Never let a battery drain and it will last a long time.
As far as desulfating goes, I've actually brought a couple of batteries back from almost dead by repeatedly running them through desulfating cycles.  Doesn't always work but occasionally it does.  It doesn't hurt to try.
Man do I love this bike! Red '09

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2013, 04:19:19 PM »
How do you run a battery through a desulfating cycle?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.