Author Topic: Went from an RT to a 12 C14  (Read 10250 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Went from an RT to a 12 C14
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2012, 09:23:03 PM »
I just waxed my connie and the creak creak creak of the plastic panels reaffirmed my observations that my RT was better built.

Anyhow, I will say the more I ride the connie the more I like it! The fuel mapping is spot on, the engine is nice and smooth, but honestly does not feel as strong as my K1300GT did for roll ons. I love how nicely the driveline works, and lacks the lash I have noticed on other machines.

I talked to a couple CHP guys about the move to the C14 incidentally, and they seem to like the bike, although they maintain that they preffered their RT's for comfort and handling.     

"Comfort" is easily obtained on the C-14 through tons of available options- seats, bars, grips, do-dad's galore.  But you can't fix the high price, reliability, maintenance costs, and strange engine (IMHO) of the RT.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 07:52:49 AM by maxtog »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Son of Pappy

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2012, 09:26:44 PM »
RT= Really comfortable Tractor ;D  POs know what I mean and no, it aint a slam by any means.  Kinda like an LT= Light Truck.  C14=smoooooooooooth as buttah, almost as good as thick sliced bacon :)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2012, 10:52:28 PM »
C14=smoooooooooooth as buttah, almost as good as thick sliced bacon :)

Mmmm.... bacon.  :P

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2012, 01:57:21 AM »
Anyhow, I will say the more I ride the connie the more I like it! The fuel mapping is spot on, the engine is nice and smooth, but honestly does not feel as strong as my K1300GT did for roll ons. I love how nicely the driveline works, and lacks the lash I have noticed on other machines.

The roll on "weakness" is a characteristic of this bike because of the really long gearing. In 6th gear in the K1300 you're 2000 rpm above what the C14 is doing. When I drove it, it felt "hysteric", for lack of a better term.
On a K1300S, the 6th gear is almost as short as the 4th gear on the Kawasaki. I always thought that the Kawa was a bit lazy at high speed (>130 mph) until I tried it in 4th. Oh-my-holly-crap reaction is there, you just have to be in the right gear.
In principle, this is a disadvantage, but it comes handy on tight passes in which you can stay in 2nd, almost like a Duc would do in 3rd.
As gPink said, removing the flies goes a long way to waking up the engine at lower revs. Before, I couldn't get the front wheel up. Now, I have to be careful with the throttle to keep it down.  :)
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline ugocon

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2012, 02:28:57 AM »
No comment on the topic: my Avatar and signature say it all!
 ::)
:chugbeer:
Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline eng943

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2012, 04:36:33 PM »
No comment on the topic: my Avatar and signature say it all!
 ::)
:chugbeer:

Cheers to passive aggressiveness. ::)

I just went and did 200 miles on the Connie with the BMW guys through the canyons, etc. It's a pretty big adjustment going from telever to conventional forks. I am sure I will get some cornering speed back eventually after I get to know the Connie better.

Not one sneer or offhanded remark from the guys either. As expected.... :P 
2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Offline eng943

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2012, 04:45:43 PM »
"Comfort" is easily obtained on the C-14 through tons of available options- seats, bars, grips, do-dad's galore.  But you can't fix the high price, reliability, maintenance costs, and strange engine (IMHO) of the RT.

Kawi parts are cheaper no doubt. Labor rates are comperable, BMW reliability is nowhere near as anemic as people here dipict it to be, and lots of people like twins. So in the end it's a pretty subjective decision.

BTW, as far as internet reliability fodder is concerned, when should I expect my warped rotors,Kipass/FD failures, high speed wobble, etc? Oh these reliability issues...what am I to do??? ::)

2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2012, 05:27:07 PM »
Have a drink or a cookie or both.  It works for me. ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2012, 07:21:25 PM »
I know my C14 is a fine bike. But I got the K1600GTL on my sight. As for the RT, I never considered it due to price when I was shopping. But later down the line when I sat on it, I could see me getting swayed by its comfort. I do not drag pegs really.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Cuda

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2012, 09:08:18 PM »

BTW, as far as internet reliability fodder is concerned, when should I expect my warped rotors,Kipass/FD failures, high speed wobble, etc? Oh these reliability issues...what am I to do??? ::)
[/quote]

I think you should sell that low life cheap plastic junk and buy another bmw (and go troll away)
The only thing  warped is the wobble in your head.
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2012, 09:38:31 PM »
Reliability is in the eye of the beholder I reckon, it does seem that BMW dealers as a whole are pretty good. I agree that they are well built, if not a bit over-engineered like most German things.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2012, 01:31:51 AM »
I think you should sell that low life cheap plastic junk and buy another bmw (and go troll away)

no need to get personal, me thinks...
My RT had 5000 miles when I sold it and was a very cheap bike for mantain, but not to buy. I had the C14 for 35 thousand miles now and I did have warped rotors. But even if I had a blown up FD on it, and paid from my pocket, it would still be cheaper than the RT.
Pokey hit the nail on the head: Germans like it complicated. They work great while they work. I work on a daily basis with Italians, English, French and US Americans, and the differences in mind set are staggering. Sometimes I am amazed to see that we all have 2 legs and 2 arms.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2012, 04:29:07 AM »
Let's tone it down just a hair, please, guys.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline eng943

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2012, 06:11:47 AM »

Evidentally you did not read my posts, and failed to see the tongue in cheek sarcasam in this particular post. Obviously the combination of laziness, intolerance, and a completely myopic view of motorcycles in general, left you with no choice but to offer the above limp wristed, small minded remark.

It's interesting to note, that not one of my BMW friends have given me any grief for switching to the C14. Most of these guys have owned numerous bikes of varying brands, and realize every bike has it's pros and cons.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2012, 07:14:48 AM »
I see this has gone as far as it's going to go....sigh.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2012, 06:16:51 PM »
As Captain Jean Luc Picard would say....

Star Trek - TNG "Engage"

Offline Cuda

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2012, 09:04:56 PM »
Let me see the RT is nicer build quality , hardware, the connie goes creak,creak, creak reaffirming the RT betterbuilt and your waiting for warped rotors , Ki pass failure,high speed wobble.

I was looking at the ST 1300 till I found out about the heat issues and the high speed WOBBLE , wrong bike the wobble is the ST1300. The rotor problems on the early bikes, were fixed under warranty , how many bikes come with a three year warranty that can be extended cheaply.
The Connie was the last bike that I  looked at,  I've always had Hondas and Yamahas.
I've wanted a BMW for a while ,a old mans bike  :D was going to get a 2011 RT till I took a test ride , I love the power  of the Connie,   I've raced dirt bikes, snowmobiles, cars and  boats  our outboard drag boat  Championship race is Oct 13,14 in Jasper Tenn. wish you could make it so I could show you my limp wrist. I'm so lazy that I'm the only person in the whole country that designed and builds his own race boats, I have made three different hull molds,  My only intolerance is with know it all's.
 I do plan on buying a pancake motor, a Honda Rune , since they are so ugly, It will make me look better. ;)
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2012, 10:20:09 PM »
Ya know........Jim does slightly resemble  Jean Luc Picard. All the Captain needs is jeans, button down short sleeve shirt, riding boots, and a janitor key chain on his belt. ENGAGE!!!!!!! :thumbs:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2012, 04:13:12 AM »
Twit.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2012, 07:24:32 AM »