Author Topic: New tires needed  (Read 14613 times)

Offline COGnosticat0r

Re: New tires needed
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2011, 01:50:38 AM »
I've gone through two sets of tires so far this year, and will go through 3 more before the season's over. I'm running a PR2 on the rear right now. It's got about 3,500 on it, and I'm changing it out tomorrow. ::)

I don't even think my Wife could get 12,000 miles out of a tire. ;)

I had a riding buddy (RIP Bob) who had a BMW R1150RS and he ran the original PR and he would get 12k + miles out of the rear tire consistently and he  would ride like I do and I could only get 7k out of the rear.  It would blow my mind how he did that.
Jerry Holland
COG 4478
2013 C14
"Man, you were haulin' ass the other day when I passed you"

Bob

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2011, 03:04:30 AM »

Offline chi-gpz1100

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2011, 09:59:07 PM »
After this weekend's ride of ~1300 miles down to KY/WV, all I can say is this will be the last pirelli ST tire I install for some time.  One of the characteristics that new michelins seem to have is the ability to hold the line with very little effort.  This isn't the case with the pirelli's.  It seems effort is required the entire time.  Now granted, I did come off of a 55 profile pr2 rear, but after the miles, it was fairly squared off and worn very similar to a 50 profile.  In fact, other than slightly better falling into the corner, the difference between what I took off and put on wasn't that great.

I got the angel's in a 50 profile, but even so, I'd expect the difference to be more so about falling into the corner, not about effort in holding the line.

Also, I suppose it could be attributed to suspension.  Albeit, the front fork oil was just changed, but the rear shock hasn't been touched.  Still, I remember when putting new tires on the c14, it would ride nearly effortlessly.

Maybe the heavier c14 reacts differently than the fz1, but I doubt it.

Offline atlantaM3

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2011, 11:17:33 PM »
I dont get it - I have about 3800 miles on a set of PR2's and probably need to change them, They are cupped badly enough to cause noticable vibration, even passenger noticed.

HOW are people getting 12k out of these things??

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2011, 08:24:13 AM »
They're slow.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2011, 08:28:05 AM »
They're slow.

+1

and they certainly don't hot brake into turns! 
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Tom J.

• "Disciples of Displacement" charter member
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2011, 08:31:26 AM »
Atlanta,
How many miles are on your bike, rather what's the condition of your suspension?
Severe cupping at such low mileage on the tire has to be attributed to either worn out suspension or proper tire pressure not being maintained.
Weight really shouldn't be a factor since I'm about 240 lbs...  I currently have 18,500 miles on the bike- put the PR2's on at 6,500 miles. Yes, that's 12,000 miles on the front and rear tires.  I can't explain it, but I'm happy.  Yes, I scrape pegs once in a while, yes I run her up to 8000 rpm in a hard acceleration once in a while, heck I even downshift! Most of my riding is commuting on the freeway- 70 to 80 mph.
I like to try new things, but I'm going to have a hard time putting on ANY tire besides the PR2's....
'08 Kawasaki Concours
'98 Yamaha VMax
'84 Honda V65 Magna
'82 Honda CX500 Custom

Offline atlantaM3

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2011, 12:28:15 PM »
bike has 7800 miles total - mix of solo sport riding and 2up touring, with a little commuting mixed in. Did about 900 miles this weekend 2up.
Pressures - solo sport - 39/40. 2up - 42/42. I will say that the solo sport riding is def 'spirited' - of the passing the ZXr/CBR on the twisty road sort. I run the suspension settings a bit stiff. Still, I expected more from these, they are toasted the same as the 021'a that the bike cam with in about the same mileage.

Offline atlantaM3

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2011, 12:29:08 PM »
+1

and they certainly don't hot brake into turns!

guess that is a viable option...

Offline Tom J.

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2011, 01:11:25 PM »
Hmmm- then I am 'at a loss'.  Maybe you just got a tire from a bad batch.
'08 Kawasaki Concours
'98 Yamaha VMax
'84 Honda V65 Magna
'82 Honda CX500 Custom

Offline Graffixnfun

« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2011, 01:50:00 PM »
They're slow.

Agreeded, I just burned through a set of PR2's in 4000 miles. They held well all the way to the end and inspired confidence.  I never felt nervous about pushing the bike all the way over. I had about 1000 miles of super slab in there and they handled that very well.  I imagine if you spend more time just cruising you could pull 10K out of the tires or better.  Everything we ride here in the SE is very twisty and just BEGS to be run fast.  I just put on Angel ST's yesterday and the turn in is a bit quicker than the PR2's.  I will find out more this weekend on how they hold up.  As far as the PR2's go, I dont think you will be disappointed.
2009 concours
2006 ninja 650R
2003 victory vegas

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2011, 02:04:26 PM »
I'm running the Shinko Ravens and have been VERY happy with them thus far.  I only have about 4K on them on the slab (commute back and forth to work) and they are holding well.  I am however, going to change them out for PR2s in about 3 weeks.  I am leaving for Anchorage, and don't want to 'play' around with tires.  I know what I have gotten in the past, and what others have gotten as far as mileage goes on the PR2s.   I'll put the Shinkos back on when I return.  I'd love to really road test them, but I don't have time or money to play around with tires.  I'm figuring on about 12-15k on this trip.  If I have to get tires on the road, I will, but my goal is to limp home on one set.
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2011, 02:18:15 PM »

Offline alexx45

• 2009 Black C14
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2011, 12:45:14 PM »
I've got about 4000 miles on my current set of pirelli Angels. I am going on a ride across Texas, into New Mexico mountains, up to Colorado's mountains, back thru New Mexico & back across Texas. Should wind up being abou 3000 miles total. I'm trying to decide whether or not I should replace my tires before I leave. 7k miles +/- a few hundred miles isn't asking too much from the pirellis is it? BTW I'm not much of a peg scraper.  :o
Life is good.... At least from my perspective.
2009 Concours 14
2005 Suzuki Bandit

Offline Burbs

• 2009 ABS
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2011, 03:47:31 PM »
Agreeded, I just burned through a set of PR2's in 4000 miles. They held well all the way to the end and inspired confidence.  I never felt nervous about pushing the bike all the way over. I had about 1000 miles of super slab in there and they handled that very well.  I imagine if you spend more time just cruising you could pull 10K out of the tires or better.  Everything we ride here in the SE is very twisty and just BEGS to be run fast.  I just put on Angel ST's yesterday and the turn in is a bit quicker than the PR2's.  I will find out more this weekend on how they hold up.  As far as the PR2's go, I dont think you will be disappointed.

Any news on the Angels? I'm looking at these as a new alternative to Michelin.

Offline Tom J.

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2011, 04:18:14 PM »
Burbs,
I can't answer your question about the P. Angels, but I can tell you that the Michelin PR2's have really impressed me. I commute 59 miles (round trip), so when you say there's not of lot of 'peg scraping' opportunity, I hear ya. I do that when joy-riding, but not typically on my way to and from work as the roads I have to travel are fairly straight and or on the super slab. My '08 is dangerously close to 20k miles and I put these tires on at about 6k miles (yes, the stocker bridgestones were completely junk).  Yes, that's an impressive 14k miles on these tires- and they are still going.  The rear is almost out of tread, but the front looks amazing!  I had the guy at the shop pull down a PR3 just cuz I was curious, but as far as I know the only improvement from the 2's to the 3's is better wet weather performance- not really an issue here in Tucson.
Good luck with the Angels- have a safe trip, sounds like fun!
'08 Kawasaki Concours
'98 Yamaha VMax
'84 Honda V65 Magna
'82 Honda CX500 Custom

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2011, 05:44:42 PM »
I change My tires as often as I change My oil. Sometimes tires don't last a weekend.

I ride My bike. If you get more than 4,500 miles out of any tire, We can't ride together.  I don't have time for 'ya. ::)

150 HP and 700 LBS = new tires every two weeks. That's how it works. ;)

Anyone that doesn't agree, doesn't ride in the rain either... :o
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2011, 06:37:47 PM »
I change My tires as often as I change My oil. Sometimes tires don't last a weekend.

I ride My bike. If you get more than 4,500 miles out of any tire, We can't ride together.  I don't have time for 'ya. ::)

Anyone that doesn't agree, doesn't ride in the rain either... :o

Glad I dont have the expenditures that you have.......just sayin. And I do ride allot in the rain, so I reckon I don't agree with ya.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2011, 06:42:47 PM »
Pirelli Angles are a fine tire and may be worth a try for you but quite a few of us have used both (Michelin PR2s and Pirelli Angles) and I don't believe any of us have gotten as many miles out of the Angels as the Michelins. To the best of my knowledge, PR2s seem to be the mileage champs on the C-14 overall. There isn't enough reported long distance info. on PR3s to really have an opinion yet.

I am in the market for a set of tires myself and will probably go with PR2s again.

Brian

Any news on the Angels? I'm looking at these as a new alternative to Michelin.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2011, 06:43:17 PM »

You change your oil and tires on your C14 every 2 weeks??  ???