Author Topic: Tire Plugs  (Read 28337 times)

Offline danl

Re: Tire Plugs
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2012, 08:58:41 AM »
Here are a couple pics. I grabbed some needle nose pliers and pulled out the offending member, and it wasn't a nail- but it was a chunk of glass that was not big enough to go all the way thru the tread. Cool! It did leave a hole as you can see.

Here's the tire in general- it looks like it has a lot of life left to me.

Here's the glass still in the tire.

The hole it left.

the piece of glass

Son of Pappy

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2012, 09:06:46 AM »
Location of damage and knowing we don't ride on debris free roads?  Wouldn't take much and you have a rapid loss of pressure.  I'd bite the bullet and buy a new tire, KIPASS is great, 'bout the only thing not covered by it's aura is tires :)

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2012, 09:50:00 AM »
Front tire damage  :yikes:    Get off your wallet before you get hurt.

Offline ljcorby

• COG#: 9359
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2012, 09:59:56 AM »
Front tire damage  :yikes:    Get off your wallet before you get hurt.

+1, replace that thing!
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2012, 10:28:53 AM »
I've ran plugs on the front and will again.  But yeah, there's a chance a plug will fail. Perhaps a greater chance that another part of the tire fails long before a plug, nevertheless replace it if you're worried
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2012, 11:11:30 AM »
The only time I've ever had a plug fail was when a large triangular object tore through my tire and put a 1/4 inch gash in it.  I knew the plug wouldn't hold long (I managed to make it to a gas station out in BFE and they happened to have a plug kit for sale) but the countless times I've plugged regular nail holes they have always lasted the life of the tire.

Offline danl

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2012, 12:15:21 PM »
My gut feeling is to replace it too. I already have a service scheduled for next Thursday to replace the front brake pads, they are "singing" to me, and while they have it in there I'll have them do the tire.

Offline booger

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2012, 06:51:56 PM »
I'd plug it long enough to drive it to the dealer and get a new tire.
I just don't understand.  Why take the chance?

Offline feelergaugephil

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2012, 03:11:34 PM »
Tire plugs are a life saver, and life taker, your choice, plug it to get home, then buy a new tire, I'll plug a car tire in a heartbeat and leave that sucker in there for life, bike tires totally different..... again, your choice.
I went to Ark last June, 1st day of the 4 day vacation got a nail in my rear tire, no one had a michelin in stock, so my ride for the next few days was slowed right down instead of being up with my friends........
Dont take my LOW post count as being a new Connie owner, I have been with the "other site" before it imploded........

13 Connie dressed in blue

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2012, 03:21:17 PM »
I'd keep running it if ir were a rear tire. I wouldn't even plug it until needed. The front tire I would replace the though. I have yet to have a front flat yet. (knocking on wood). Buy a set and keep them as spares.
Joel from Maine.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2012, 05:36:58 PM »
If you trust your TPMS then it will give you fair warning before pressures become dangerous.  I agree I would worry less about the rear but thats not your case.  With that mileage I would probably just replace it though.   I plugged my rear about 2K ago and have to add air occasionally.

Offline BeaverMatt

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2013, 10:15:07 PM »
Had my first flat on a bike about two weeks ago.  Ran over a roofing staple and got two small holes quite close to each other.  Reamed it into one larger hole and plugged it on the road with a rope style plug kit.  Worked fine for the first week, but the repair has developed a slow leak - about 8 lbs/day.  The tire is a Michelin Pilot Road 2 (rear).  It has about 2000 miles left on it.  What's the best way to fix the leak?  Should I re-do the plug (tear the original plug out and replace it with a new one), use some Slime (not preferred), just live with filling the tire each day?  I know plugs won't last forever - nor are they designed too, but I hear of plugs lasting thousands of miles.  I figure I have nothing to lose at this point just re-plugging, but thought I'd ask around in case someone has faced and solved the same problem.  What say you?
Beaver Matt

2009 C14
Black

Offline SkyWalker

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2013, 10:25:36 PM »
Did you prep the hole with rubber cement using the reamer?

When using rubber cement the plug will generally vulcanize to the tire and provide permanent bonding and sealing.

Offline RubiconMike

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2013, 10:25:46 PM »
Since you said there is only about 2k miles left, I'd chalk it up to bad luck and buy a new tire.

If you must patch it, pull it off the rim and patch it from the inside with one of those flat patches. That should last the life of the tire without leaking.

Plugs usually leak (as you have found out), and if you coat the inside with slime, you tire man will hate you when you change to the next tire.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2013, 10:56:31 PM »
I rode a wal-mart plug from Denver out to Los Angeles then back to Tampa, FL. Plug was named "Jill".  She was a biatch though, I had to air up every morning

Got home to Tampa and changed the oil that night, had a tire put on the next morning, and went on down to Key West for a slice of Key Lime pie.

KiPass rules!  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Conrad

« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2013, 05:01:23 AM »
If you used rubber cement then you'll have a VERY hard time removing the leaking plug/rope. I'd leave the plug in place and check to see exactly where the air is leaking from and then put a new plug in place, even if it's right next to the old one.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2013, 05:17:22 AM »
Or replace the tire..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2013, 05:54:27 AM »
+1 on replacing the tire.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline jayke

« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2013, 08:00:17 AM »
Replace the tire.

Don't feel too bad.  I ran over staples once and ended up with about 10 punctures in tire that only had 500 miles on it. No choice but to replace it.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2013, 09:19:24 AM »
My experience with plugs is that on a new tire with plenty of rubber they work well. But on a worn tire or as the new tire with plug wears, it starts leaking. At 8lbs a day I would definitely replace it. The few bucks worth of tire you would be giving up by replacing is well worth it.