Author Topic: Better lighting at a low cost? Possible?  (Read 21558 times)

Offline timsatx

• Arena

Offline Tele130

Re: Better lighting at a low cost? Possible?
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2011, 03:44:07 PM »
Have you seen The new light brackets that Chris is making?  They mount to the two forward screws where the upper and mid fairing attach. Very nice stuff! :thumbs:
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2011, 03:55:00 PM »
OPTIONS: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607184

That lite has a very strong following. Very good reviews.

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2011, 03:57:37 PM »
Have you seen The new light brackets that Chris is making?  They mount to the two forward screws where the upper and mid fairing attach. Very nice stuff! :thumbs:

Yes I like those, I put them on my wishlist. Like you Tele130, I ride at night a lot i work from 22:00 to 06:00. 19 days straight.

Cheers Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline throb

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2011, 05:09:42 PM »
Check this out tele130, http://www.webbikeworld.com/lights/bikevis-led-lights/. Come to think of it, I might have to jump on these.

I too was looking at these.  At first blush they seem like great lights to add, but after doing some more research on them, they seem to fail after a pretty short time.  The customer service sounds good, but the failure rate seems too high.  How about these?

http://24x7diy.com/index.php/cPath/23
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2011, 05:28:53 PM »
You asked for better lighting at low cost?
I don't like the extra lights hanging on the bike but wanted more light.
Didn't want to spend the big $$..

SO,,,,
I use the NAAPA Off Road light bulb (100W80), then added a wire, switch and diode between the low and high beam wires.....
Cost about $10.00

Now, When I select Low beam, I power Low beam only....
BUT,, when I select High beam, I send electricity to both low beam and high beam ....
Lights up "Close" and "Far".......

PS: (I also have Murphs wiring Harness installed as this gives me more amps without overloading the Selector switch)..

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 03:04:31 PM by connie_rider »

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2011, 05:36:43 PM »
Just a safety note on light placement, if you put them too close to your turn signal lights, they will wash out the signal light, especially in the dark.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2011, 06:28:13 PM »
Just a safety note on light placement, if you put them too close to your turn signal lights, they will wash out the signal light, especially in the dark.

:goodpost: Thanks  :thumbs:

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2011, 07:49:00 PM »
. . . I use the NAAPA Off Road light bulb, then added a wire, switch and diode between the low and high beam wires.....
Cost about $10.00

Now, when I select High beam, I send electricity to both low beam and high beam ....
Lights up "Close" and "Far".......
I used the NAPA 100/80W with good results - each bulb lasted a couple of years. Now using a HID setup. FYI, I don't think a halogen bulb is designed to run for long periods with both filaments on, might get a bit hot.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2011, 07:52:18 PM »
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline Tele130

« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2011, 07:25:41 AM »
Well?  I think I'm going to go with H.I.D mod.  I've had so many people (Cagers) tell me how well they can see me with my driving lights on.  My line of thinking  follows the "See, and be SEEN" concept.  With the driving lights mounted low (just above the radiator over flow bottle) gives the bike a very distinctive lighting triangle.  Which, apparently seems to work well.

I'm looking at a "VVME" system that's designed for a four wheel vehicle (Two bulbs & two Ballasts).  Like this one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bi-xenon-HID-KIT-H4-9003-HB2-4300K-6000K-8000K-10K-12K-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZalgoQ3dLVIQ26ituQ3dUCIQ26otnQ3d4Q26poQ3dLVIQ26psQ3d63Q26clkidQ3d2960275821717200014QQ_trksidZp5197Q2em7QQitemZ180717356343

If anyone has any input on this system, please chime in...............before I do something stupid :rotflmao: :chugbeer:

Doug Colton

Offline Tele130

Doug Colton

Offline jworth

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2011, 12:57:35 PM »
I think the first one you posted from VVME is exactly what I have had for the past 2 years.  Chose your color temperature wisely.  I went with 4300K.  The kit will do two motorcycles but you'll have to fabricate one of the harnesses and use your own relay.  It really isn't that hard to do.  Our fairing has plenty of space for mounting.  I split my set with a guy who had a 07 Ninja 250.  It was an extremely tight fit on his bike, had to remove the headlight, place the bulb, and put it back.  Don't recommend that.  No such problems on the relative big ZG.   Enjoy.

Offline rick3foxes

• Apex, NC
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2011, 10:20:51 AM »
I think the first one you posted from VVME is exactly what I have had for the past 2 years.  Chose your color temperature wisely.  I went with 4300K. 

Jworth, that sounds like a hidden warning....
What are the consequences of the other color temperatures?

Thanks,
Rick.
Rick.
COG#: 9843
IBA#: 34853
"... miles to go before I sleep."

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2011, 10:28:05 AM »
You first listed kit is exactly what I have.  1.5 years already and still operates perfectly.  I would also recommend the 4300k temp kit.  It is about as close to pure white as you can get (it won't look like the rice burners with the blue lights).  I carry my stock bulb for back-up because the bulb can be pulled quickly and then just plug the stock connector back into it.  I cable tied the ballast to the upper fairing frame by the turn signal relay (throttle side).
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Tele130

« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2011, 12:47:05 PM »
You first listed kit is exactly what I have.  1.5 years already and still operates perfectly.  I would also recommend the 4300k temp kit.  It is about as close to pure white as you can get (it won't look like the rice burners with the blue lights).  I carry my stock bulb for back-up because the bulb can be pulled quickly and then just plug the stock connector back into it.  I cable tied the ballast to the upper fairing frame by the turn signal relay (throttle side).

So you think the 6000K is too Blue in color?..................That's what I was looking at getting.

Doug Colton

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2011, 12:59:43 PM »
Those would be pretty blue - law enforcement or an inspector may frown upon them.  Or, you may never be bothered.  My 4300k is white with a very slight hint of blue.  I think people get so used to slightly yellow/orange as being the norm and the minute it is pure white it gets noticed.  A 4300k bulb is literally throwing the most amount of light in the spectrum.

edit:  Oh yeah, my daughter had me put 6000k in her Scion TC - they are difinitely blue.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Tele130

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2011, 01:12:36 PM »
Those would be pretty blue - law enforcement or an inspector may frown upon them.  Or, you may never be bothered.  My 4300k is white with a very slight hint of blue.  I think people get so used to slightly yellow/orange as being the norm and the minute it is pure white it gets noticed.  A 4300k bulb is literally throwing the most amount of light in the spectrum.

edit:  Oh yeah, my daughter had me put 6000k in her Scion TC - they are difinitely blue.

Good to know..........Thanks! :thumbs:

Doug Colton

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2011, 01:27:32 PM »
Those color charts never show the exact color that comes out.  I would say that mine looks like the 6000k to 9000k pictures on the first link above that you posted.  Still a bad picture for actual comparison.

I did see a Hyabusa in Myrtle beach that had the purple color.  It took the guy 10 minutes to catch up to me at 1am coming into town until I could even figure out what it was.  He was probably back there for 20 minutes or so.  It was barely throwing off any light on the ground coming up to me.  Very hard to judge distance on him.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2011, 07:06:21 AM »

edit:  Oh yeah, my daughter had me put 6000k in her Scion TC - they are definitely blue.

The closer to white the light may take on a bluish hint; but as you said pure white is better at throwing white further down the road. We use high voltage/amperage 1500 watt zeion here on the boats and they burn pure white hot with a hint of blue in there. The other colors can/will cost you distance.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010