Author Topic: Electronic deer whistles .....  (Read 2328 times)

Offline sas mayhem

Electronic deer whistles .....
« on: July 07, 2011, 04:22:15 PM »
Are items like this a scam or are they truly a working item? http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/4002_deer_alert_hornet_electronic_deer_avoidence_kit/

Cheers
Ron

09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
Re: Electronic deer whistles .....
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 04:30:00 PM »
From what I understand the only thing they do is take your money and place it in another mans bank account.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline Bmcush

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 04:30:41 PM »
They've gone up quite a bit since I bought one back in 04.  I had one my bike for about 3 years.  I think rain finally killed it, despite my waterproofing efforts, didnt use it all that much except during night riding.  I tend to agree with what other posters said "the deer tended to alert and go the other way".  I witnerssed that one night about 2AM in the middle of the Nevavda desert.  For casual riding I probably wont bother with getting another, however if I do start doing more IronButt stuff I just might...   

Offline wildwilly

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 06:51:45 PM »
Yes they work.  What they do is scare many dear that would normally stand there and watch you drive by and they spring out in a different directions  to get away  from a sound they cannot tell where it is coming from.
Friends of mine who drove transport trucks for years would never hit a deer  until they mounted a deer whistle and then right away they hit a deer
You are much better off to get an air horn like the Stebel. I have warded off deer hits at least twice  with it. Deer will run along side of you and try and cross in front. That is their nature.
At night watch for teeny tiny little red lights, that is their eyes.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline tonedeaf

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 07:31:01 PM »
I ride with a group in  a very deer prone area (Central Rockies). The group is "mature" with most members having 20 or more years riding. None of them use these things.

This is the best advice (taken from the above link):

The odds are you won't hit a deer. Your best protection is to drive defensively, particularly as the sun sets. This is when most vehicle/deer accidents occur. Slow down when you see one deer. More often another is right behind it.

They are also active pre-dawn. As the article says, the best way to "see" them is to look for the eye reflection -- once you see it a few times it is unmistakable. Practice "listening" to your peripheral vision.

Offline 2fast

• COG #6497, North Central Area Director
    • C-10 Heat Shield photos
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 07:33:39 PM »
If you hang a tiny brass bell from your bike it will ward off all evil.

Prove me wrong. ???
Brian in Minnesota
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme. Richard Thompson

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 08:08:22 PM »
Be very carefull when mounting those deer whistles. If you accidentaly mount them backwards the deer will actualy chase you down the road  8)  :o
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 08:57:22 PM »
Be very carefull when mounting those deer whistles. If you accidentaly mount them backwards the deer will actualy chase you down the road  8)  :o

Hehe, If you want to shoot a deer then  put teeny tiny headlights and a horn on the bullet and the deer automatically  jump out   in front of the bullet.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 10:11:22 PM »
  If deer can't hear a diesel truck (they hit plenty) coming down the road I don't think a little whistle would scare them off. Maybe it gets rid of musquitos!
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc