Author Topic: Digital display issues!  (Read 15177 times)

Offline chap

Re: Digital display issues!
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2016, 03:46:24 PM »
Well, then I am wrong....
I will ask one thing tho, when you installed the new unit, and it registered zero, what occured when you rode it a few miles? Did it correct itself to show the additional miles? 
Just curious.  Id also be curious to plug in a KDS3 to the bike after say, 10 miles on the new gages, and see what was stored in the data file onboard...

The Kawasaki dealer did the change. When I got the bike back it had less than 1 km on it. It has continued from there, never did it add the previous mileage. When I put the original back in (temporarily for pictures) it showed the miles (or km) before the swap. There is possibly a store in the ECU but it is never referenced by the cluster. Maybe the KDS3 can see it, I don't know.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2016, 04:22:50 PM »
The Kawasaki dealer did the change. When I got the bike back it had less than 1 km on it. It has continued from there, never did it add the previous mileage. When I put the original back in (temporarily for pictures) it showed the miles (or km) before the swap. There is possibly a store in the ECU but it is never referenced by the cluster. Maybe the KDS3 can see it, I don't know.

It certainly seems like a good way one could commit fraud by swapping in a new display on a bike with high mileage and then trying to sell it that way.  I would have thought they would perhaps have been more sophisticated- like storing the mileage in both the ECU and display unit and then having the computer set everything to whatever is higher.  Of course that could have bad outcomes too, if someone was legitimately swapping parts from other bikes just for testing.   Maybe the factory has a super-secret way to reset or set it manually... but I doubt that kind of functionality would ever be put in KDS3 because it would be hacked pretty quickly by someone for shady purposes.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline chap

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2016, 05:53:50 PM »
It certainly seems like a good way one could commit fraud by swapping in a new display on a bike with high mileage and then trying to sell it that way.  I would have thought they would perhaps have been more sophisticated- like storing the mileage in both the ECU and display unit and then having the computer set everything to whatever is higher.  Of course that could have bad outcomes too, if someone was legitimately swapping parts from other bikes just for testing.   Maybe the factory has a super-secret way to reset or set it manually... but I doubt that kind of functionality would ever be put in KDS3 because it would be hacked pretty quickly by someone for shady purposes.

That is why the change was done by the dealer. The miles at the change are recorded by them. I have the original cluster, my reason to change  was to have the speed read in kph as i brought the bike in the usa. I am sure people could do it to show lower  miles but that  was  not  my intention.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2016, 04:24:35 AM »
Well, then I am wrong....
I will ask one thing tho, when you installed the new unit, and it registered zero, what occured when you rode it a few miles? Did it correct itself to show the additional miles? 
Just curious.  Id also be curious to plug in a KDS3 to the bike after say, 10 miles on the new gages, and see what was stored in the data file onboard...

Just can't let it go, can you?

Here's something I picked up whilst doing some searches..   This place can 'correct' the odometer reading in the cluster.  Not sure if it can work with our bikes, but the cluster they show for 2006-2011 ZX-14 appears to look very similar to ours.

http://www.bluegauges.com/mileages.htm
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 05:26:57 AM by VirginiaJim »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline slolifepilot

« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2016, 12:52:57 PM »
My display fades when the sun shines on it for too long but it's the entire display, not just some of the digits.
I had the exact same thing happen to me on my last ride.  Sun was right on the display while we ate breakfast, started up and what characters you could see were very faint.  Started riding and everything came back within about 5-10 min.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2016, 01:02:57 PM »
Still waiting to hear verdict from o/p?

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2016, 01:10:23 PM »
Ever hopeful...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2016, 03:15:46 PM »
I had the exact same thing happen to me on my last ride.  Sun was right on the display while we ate breakfast, started up and what characters you could see were very faint.  Started riding and everything came back within about 5-10 min.

Been happening to me since new on my 2010. I always put something over the display when parked in the sun. I keep a white paper plate in a side case for this purpose.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2016, 03:49:54 PM »
Been happening to me since new on my 2010. I always put something over the display when parked in the sun. I keep a white paper plate in a side case for this purpose.

:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

O/P didn't have the "fade".... his display was hosed and showing multiple screens data simultaneously...

I really want to know what Kaw says... if it was indeed the display, or a bad connector... been a week... ::)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2016, 03:53:29 PM »

That is not unique to the Concours' dash, but pretty much any LCD screen.  Extremes in temperatures will make the screen go either way too dark or way too light.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ZXShan, 2015 C14 ABS

• 2015 C14 ABS
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2016, 03:54:11 PM »
Hey everyone, I dropped my bike off at the dealer last Saturday morning and I was given an update today. They said the issue was submitted to Kawasaki along with the pictures and they are waiting for them to respond. They said they checked the connections, battery and all cables but they all looked good. On my way to the dealer on Saturday morning one letter on the dash freaked out a little but then corrected itself. Once I have more info I will post it.
Quote: "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
-Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2016, 04:49:34 PM »
Possibly Hal 9000 establishing itself :-X

• 2015 C14 ABS
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2016, 05:28:13 PM »
I just heard back from the dealer who said that Kawasaki contacted them and told them to replace the display unit!! The service writer indicated he only told that the dash is "faulty" and needs to be replaced. He said they ordered the new one this afternoon and it should be here by the end of the week or first part of next week. I asked if that is all that Kawasaki them and he said yes. So, new display on the way.
Quote: "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2016, 09:38:48 PM »
Hey! You'll be back to a brand new zero-mile bike! (maybe)

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2016, 10:47:55 PM »
Hey! You'll be back to a brand new zero-mile bike! (maybe)

Tyre wear will most probably give him away though.... ;D
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline Conrad

« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2016, 04:20:46 AM »
Hey everyone, I dropped my bike off at the dealer last Saturday morning and I was given an update today. They said the issue was submitted to Kawasaki along with the pictures and they are waiting for them to respond. They said they checked the connections, battery and all cables but they all looked good. On my way to the dealer on Saturday morning one letter on the dash freaked out a little but then corrected itself. Once I have more info I will post it.

I just heard back from the dealer who said that Kawasaki contacted them and told them to replace the display unit!! The service writer indicated he only told that the dash is "faulty" and needs to be replaced. He said they ordered the new one this afternoon and it should be here by the end of the week or first part of next week. I asked if that is all that Kawasaki them and he said yes. So, new display on the way.

So they kept/keeping your bike while they waited to hear back from mama Kaw and while they wait for the part to come in? How long all together, two weeks?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2016, 05:48:49 AM »
So they kept/keeping your bike while they waited to hear back from mama Kaw and while they wait for the part to come in? How long all together, two weeks?

Yeah, that sucks.  I would insist on having the bike back, if it were me.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2016, 08:10:24 AM »
Yeah, that sucks.  I would insist on having the bike back, if it were me.

Me too, the bike is certainly rideable with the display messed up.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2016, 09:18:09 AM »
Just get another... You can't have to many.
The grass isn't always greener.

• 2015 C14 ABS
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2016, 09:32:57 AM »
Hey guys, the dealer will have the bike for a little over a week! I am ok with not having it right now as I have tons of projects going on at the house. We are doing new floors, rock for landscaping etc. so I am very busy to say the least and would not be riding anyway. Yes the display will be new and show 0 miles on it and I thought the tires refreshed themselves when the display went back to 0! I'm not treading on thin ice here right? Or should I just roll with it instead of letting it wear on on me? Oh look at that, three puns right in a row! We all could get some serious mileage out of this.