Author Topic: Fairing Removal Basics  (Read 5203 times)

Offline angelo

• Some Ride Reports
Fairing Removal Basics
« on: January 06, 2016, 10:17:36 AM »
... or Tupperware for dummies.

Checked the FAQs and all that.  If I missed, please direct me.

So, removing for some winter work.  Tips?  How to's?

Like I am a 5 year old...   Thanks for any input.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Fairing Removal Basics
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 10:20:49 AM »
It might help just a bit if you told us your bike year..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline angelo

• Some Ride Reports
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 10:22:20 AM »
Duh .... Sorry.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 11:19:01 AM »
2008-2009 Gen 1.   2010+ Gen2 (minor improvements in other model years to 2015 but I think the plastics are all the same in the Gen 2's)

The plastics are usually held on by well nuts.  Don't over tighten them as you may crack something.  Snug is good.  Screws in the painted parts have clear plastic washers.  Screws in non painted parts usually don't.  The plastic pieces interlock with each other so when fitting them back, make sure the interlocks are in the correct places.  You'll know if don't have it correct and if it seems not to fit, don't force it.  Make sure everything is in place.  Take pictures so you can get it back together again the same way.  Make a cardboard cut out of the larger fairing pieces and put the screws in holes to mirror the piece.  If you are taking off a side fairing, you have to start by removing the top glove box lid.   Then the black fairing piece.  Then the side fairing.   The side fairing has two large screws in the grill work.  The one on the bottom is the only one you need to loosen.  Get either a service manual or Fred Harmon's DVDs to help you with the maintenance aspects.  Both of these come up for sale periodically.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 01:35:00 PM »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 03:31:14 PM »
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=20590.0

Yep.  Purchase the service manual, it is well worth it.  (And/or the DVD videos).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline clogan

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 07:43:31 PM »
Done it twice so far; didn't need to look at my shop manual, but I had it handy, just in case. Pretty easy, but I took itreal slow. Started at top with glove box lid, then black panels left and right of handle bars, then on down the sides. Labelled each fastener as l removed it. Made cut outs on the gills so I didn't have to remove my Canyon Cages. Use good quality tools, incl. three different sizes of hex heads. Leave windshield.in full up position when you turn off ignition, and you won't have to remove it to reach the push pins under it. Use a small allen wrench to depress the pins, then.pop.them.out with a small screwdriver. Pardon my poor typing on this darn smart phone.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline angelo

• Some Ride Reports
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 06:25:06 AM »
Thanks for the info.  So, top down on this bike.

ON my C10, bottom to upper always worked best for me.  Certainly learned about making cardboard screw charts with those.  What, 3 different length screws? 

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 09:23:14 AM »
I do it so things don't get lost and I know exactly where they go back.  There are some different sized screws on the panels and they should be self apparent.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 01:14:21 PM »
Whoever designed the plastics on these bikes must have had a hand in designing the Rubik's Cube.