Author Topic: Damping rod thread size  (Read 2221 times)

Offline 4cedars

Damping rod thread size
« on: April 08, 2015, 03:47:52 PM »
Getting ready to do a fork oil change, I made all my own tools for this service but do not have the damping rod holder made yet. Does any one know the size and pitch of the threads. It is either 10x1.00, 10x1.25, 12x1.00 or 12x1.25

Thanks for any input, John
IBA# 45862
MTF Tourers Assistant
2012 Tour of Honor State Sponsor (IL)
2013 Tour of Honor State Sponsor (IL and IN)

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
Re: Damping rod thread size
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 06:53:33 PM »
Getting ready to do a fork oil change, I made all my own tools for this service but do not have the damping rod holder made yet. Does any one know the size and pitch of the threads. It is either 10x1.00, 10x1.25, 12x1.00 or 12x1.25

Thanks for any input, John

That's a good question. I have one of the multi-thread tools with all four sizes in it, but I've never bothered to look and see what the thread sizes are for any given bike. I've not run across a damper rod yet with M12 threads....but I've never done C14 forks either. Since the M10 threads are deeper in the tool than the M12 threads, I can usually only catch a few of the M10 threads...but it's usually enough.

I'm pretty sure it will be M10x1.25, but I can't state it s a fact...just a good guess...lol.

Make sure you measure the distance between the top of the nut and the top of the threads on the damper rod....that's the most important measurement to note in there. Usually somewhere between 10mm and 12mm.

Rem
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline 4cedars

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 07:12:42 PM »
Rem, I have Freds DVD's. In the video it appears to be a 10, but thought I would ask just to be sure. I may just tig a 1.00 and a 1.25 pitch nut on each end of the tube.

John
IBA# 45862
MTF Tourers Assistant
2012 Tour of Honor State Sponsor (IL)
2013 Tour of Honor State Sponsor (IL and IN)

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 07:34:59 PM »
Rem, I have Freds DVD's. In the video it appears to be a 10, but thought I would ask just to be sure. I may just tig a 1.00 and a 1.25 pitch nut on each end of the tube.

John

I haven't seen Fred's videos, but he's probably using the same Traxxion tool kit I have? Does he use grey tube with female threads in each end?

If you do the two M10 sizes, you should be covered.

An old 14mm wrench that you can grind down (thinner) will help on the damper rods nuts as well. I have an old one that use just for forks.

Good luck.

Rem
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.