Author Topic: ....Anyone Else Notice This in Econo Mode...?  (Read 8585 times)

Offline Mister Tee

Re: ....Anyone Else Notice This in Econo Mode...?
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2012, 01:35:37 PM »
Long answer:The "idle map" is just he main idle screw. You should have that set to something like 1100-1250 when not in ECO mode. Then when ECO mode is activated, it leans out the a/f mixture. Which in turn causes the engine to idle at a slightly higher RPM.

Short answer: There is no such thing as an "Idle Map" on a C14. So move along. Nothing to see here.  ;D
Short answer #2: It's all magic!  :P

I think what you are trying to say is that Eco mode leans out the entire map by a single factor.  (Why is the idle speed constant after it warms up, when you switch from Eco mode to regular and back?)

Offline Bikerdad

• My bike 2012 Black
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2012, 04:49:03 PM »
I have the same result  on my 2012 connie .

Ron
C-14 Black 2012

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2012, 05:23:52 PM »
I have the same result  on my 2012 connie .

When the bike is cold (first started), like most bike engines, it will be prone to dying.  If the idle is set too low or  you do not wait a minute or two and take off but without enough throttle, it can and will die and I don't find that to be terribly alarming.  If there is too much play in the throttle cable, this can amplify the problem, since a twist to give gas might not be quite enough.  If you ALSO use ECO mode (which I don't bother with) that will tend to make the idle even less strong, even if the RPM is a bit higher, because the bike is then cold AND even leaner than normal.

I will admit that my 2011 has never died when leaving after cold started, but I almost always start the bike and let it run a minute or two before leaving.  It is part of my routine- I am not finished preparing to leave before I start the bike.  I will usually start it, and then put on my helmet, plug in my earphones, and put on my gloves and set the GPS/music options, and then leave.   I consider this a "best practice".  It is "better" for most engines to let the oil get a little up to temp and flowing through everything before calling for power.

A few times I have killed the engine, especially when the bike was new and I was slow manuvering, and I had too much play in the throttle.  Once I got more used to the bike, and also removed the throttle play, it was never an issue again.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2012, 05:28:43 PM »
I think what you are trying to say is that Eco mode leans out the entire map by a single factor.  (Why is the idle speed constant after it warms up, when you switch from Eco mode to regular and back?)

This has been discussed several times before, and from what I recall, the consensus was that when the bike is placed into ECO mode, the computer will raise the idle speed until the bike has reached reasonable running temp and then it is reduced back to normal levels.  This is done as a precaution to prevent the engine from dying too easily when coping with a leaner mixer AND being cold.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2012, 04:05:52 AM »
Why is the idle speed constant after it warms up, when you switch from Eco mode to regular and back?

This is not the case with my bike. After I've riden for a while and the bike is fully warmed up, I can come to a stop and toggle the ECO mode on & off. The rpm is higher when the ECO mode is on vs. off.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2012, 09:20:52 AM »
This has been discussed several times before, and from what I recall, the consensus was that when the bike is placed into ECO mode, the computer will raise the idle speed until the bike has reached reasonable running temp and then it is reduced back to normal levels.  This is done as a precaution to prevent the engine from dying too easily when coping with a leaner mixer AND being cold.

Sorry, I missed that memo.  But I guess that makes sense.

Given that, I wonder if it's better just to immediately place it in eco mode, and accept the higher idle vs. a low cold idle with a richer mixture.  I've always let it warm up first then put it in eco mode.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2012, 11:21:15 AM »

Given that, I wonder if it's better just to immediately place it in eco mode, and accept the higher idle vs. a low cold idle with a richer mixture. I've always let it warm up first then put it in eco mode.

+1
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline CARLÃO

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2012, 01:35:36 PM »
Guys, isn't it because te ECO removes power and the engine has to work a little more to mantain the same performance? I always use ECO anywere I go and, at my speed, until now, it's alright.

Offline RJ2

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2012, 02:59:24 PM »

Given that, I wonder if it's better just to immediately place it in eco mode, and accept the higher idle vs. a low cold idle with a richer mixture.  I've always let it warm up first then put it in eco mode.

Agree