Author Topic: Turn Signal Question  (Read 3400 times)

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
Turn Signal Question
« on: September 27, 2012, 08:36:17 AM »
I just noticed that my right turn signal flashes almost twice as fast as my left.  I switched bulbs but same result.  I can hear the relay clicking and it correlates to the flash of the signals.  The left is normal but the right is much faster.

I was in the process of installing an Admore kit when this was noticed.  I took everything off the bike thinking it was the Admore kit causing the problem but it is still doing the same thing.  When I apply the hazards it flashes normal.  When the bike powers up and cycles the lights they cycle normal.

Any ideas that may help?  Much appreciated. 

Offline ljcorby

• COG#: 9359
Re: Turn Signal Question
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 08:43:04 AM »
So just so we understand....

This wasn't happening before the Admore light kit install, correct?  And you have completely removed the Admore light kit?  Any led bulbs?
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 09:09:46 AM »
I cant say that it was not happening before, I never noticed until today.  Admore is completely removed and all bulbs in place.  No LED's, all stock.  Thanks.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 09:28:00 AM »
Further investigation reveals that either my right front bulb is blown or in my haste I forgot to plug it in last time I had that panel off a few weeks ago.  It never dawned on me to check the front as I was standing on the left side when checking things.  I am betting on my stupidity of not plugging it in, but I will figure that out later today.  Thanks for the help.

Offline ljcorby

• COG#: 9359
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 09:30:47 AM »
Yes, it is my understanding that if one of the blinker bulbs blows out or isn't seated properly, it will blink at a quicker rate.  This happens on my truck as well.  Good luck and let us know how it turns out for ya.
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 03:41:20 PM »
Yes, it is my understanding that if one of the blinker bulbs blows out or isn't seated properly, it will blink at a quicker rate.  This happens on my truck as well.  Good luck and let us know how it turns out for ya.

This is pretty normal for most vehicles that use incandescent turn signals.  The blinker is an electro-mechanical heat switch.  The current draw of the two lit bulbs heats a strip and it bends and breaks the circuit, then cools and closes the circuit.  If a bulb is burned out, there is only half the load/heat, and it will change the blink rate.

LED lights pull so little power they are incompatible with electro-mechanical heat switches.  So if one REPLACES a bulb with an LED one has to use a load resistor or change out the blinker for a fully electronic one.  But typically you can add ADDITIONAL turn signal LED bulbs to a dual-incandescent system and it will not change the blink rate.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 05:24:34 PM »
Problem solved, front right light left unplugged.  However what were they thinking with the bulb replacement procedure?  Am I missing something because it seems ridiculous having to take the side panels loose/off to change a bulb?  Thanks guys.

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 07:24:00 PM »
Problem solved, front right light left unplugged.  However what were they thinking with the bulb replacement procedure?  Am I missing something because it seems ridiculous having to take the side panels loose/off to change a bulb?  Thanks guys.

I already complained about it a long time ago when I made the turn-signal-to-running-lights modifications.  I was amazed at how insane it is to get to the damn bulbs.   It would have made far too much sense to have lenses that are removable from the outside.  And now with these Canyon things, changing a bulb would be like an all day project!!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 04:48:51 AM »
Perhaps Kwak management lost your memo, Max?  I would try again.  Ask for Mark this time.... ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.