Author Topic: Spare Key?  (Read 5617 times)

Offline MCP

Spare Key?
« on: October 21, 2015, 07:58:42 PM »
I just purchased a 2012 and would like to get a couple spare keys.

I'd like one for the FOB plus a main key. My ID for the FOB begins 20BXXX. Does the FOB code determine the key part number? Looking at this schematic, I'm thinking the main key is 27008B because my ID has a B. Does anyone know if that is correct?

Does anyone know what the part number for the spare key is? (for the FOB)

Also, these are blanks, so I would guess most key shops could cut a new one from my key.

Or do key shops have this type of blank in stock and I could skip the whole process of ordering online?

thanks

Offline SilverConnieRider

Re: Spare Key?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 09:59:08 PM »
I had a key made at a Lock Shop and they had the blank in stock - Cost $10 plus tax.

Offline jwh20

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 04:33:11 AM »
Note that there are TWO types of key, "A" and "B" or I think of them as RIGHT-HAND vs. LEFT-HAND.  Be sure you get the right type or it will not work.  Note also that, unfortunately, some of the parts fiche drawings are wrong.

This picture is an "A" type key.  Note that if you point the tip at yourself the high side is on the LEFT:

If yours looks like this, get the "A" type key.  If it's a mirror image, get the "B" type key.  Some dealers can cut the key.  Any locksmith can do it, they are standard.

Offline JoeRau

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 08:07:39 AM »
My local locksmith shop cut 4 spares for me.  $1.50 each.  They used my fob key as a pattern and their in stock blank. 
2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990

Offline jwh20

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 08:15:03 AM »
My local locksmith shop cut 4 spares for me.  $1.50 each.  They used my fob key as a pattern and their in stock blank.

The Kawasaki key blanks are pretty common.  I got the one above at my local Ace Hardware.  To use it in the C14 ignition, however, you have to file the corners of the top as it doesn't fit down in the recess.  But for the fuel filler, the bags, and the seat, it works as is.

Offline MCP

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 04:40:27 PM »
Went to my local key cutter - done.

Thanks for the replies.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 04:58:30 PM »
I pressed the Easy button.  Nothing happened..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 05:10:20 PM »
When I pressed it, it got bigger.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 06:50:23 PM »
 :rotflmao: That it did...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 05:06:39 AM »
When I pressed it, it got bigger.

That's what she said...
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 05:36:59 AM »
I pressed the Easy button.  Nothing happened..

When I pressed it, it bought up a thread search :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc