Author Topic: Is it my valve cover? HALP  (Read 11073 times)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: Is it my valve cover? HALP
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2014, 02:38:51 PM »
And that's why I specifically asked them to take pictures when they did mine since the valve cover had never been removed. But alas, they didn't and I paid almost $800.

understood, my direction on that was to the O/P.

This topic about the valve cover/cam position sensor oil leak is a topic that is too common for it to not have been solved by Kawasaki a long time ago. Its the reason why I will never buy another Kawasaki.

WELL...WHY DON'T YOU CALL KAWASAKI UP AND COMPLAIN TO THEM, AND THREATEN THEM ABOUT NOT BUYING ANOTHER OF THIER BIKES....
 ::) ::) ::) ::)

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :deadhorse: :thumbs: :hail: :hail:
heheheh, I'll tell you that i have contacted them 2 different times, thru various internal contacts I had when I was Tech Editor, explaining this issue, and giving them the rquired o-ring data... no followup on thier part has taken place.....YET.
but hey, when I badgered them way back in 07/08 about other issues, they DID commit to recalls.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2014, 02:59:49 PM »

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2014, 03:02:10 PM »
Damn is that mess still burning?

Yessir, it sure is. The good news is that the valve cover gasket hadn't leaked a drop.  :o
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2014, 03:04:01 PM »
Yessir, it sure is. The good news is that the valve cover gasket hadn't leaked a drop.  :o
:rotflmao:

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2014, 03:10:15 PM »
:rotflmao:

Hey Gary, I tell it like it is and people hate me for it...lol.

These "problematic" Kawasaki's always make the other brands look so darn reliable.

Rem :o
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2014, 03:56:34 PM »
Hate is such an ugly word.  :)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2014, 05:07:01 PM »
Ah, this reminds me of the Soviet method of damage control: cover up a disaster with a catastrophe. The Soviet economy was a shambles by the mid- 80's.... but then Chernobyl happened and no one was concerned with the economy anymore. :o

BMW appears to have noticed this- we (non- BMW owners) used to be wary of the final drive. But now that BMW has produced a bike that the rear suspension shears off of.....well, that flaming final drive is startin' to look kinda' good.  :'(

I do agree that probably Kawasaki should have tweaked the valve cover sealing problem by now but on a scale of all things, that is not such a bad problem to have. And even when they do leak, they do not leak badly (almost never leave drips on the ground). Mine has leaked three times and I have stopped the leak three times. And it is leaking again. I am working on a possible solution to this problem on the next major maintenance cycle which will happen this winter.

Brian

:goodpost:

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2014, 05:12:48 PM »
Agreed- and I personally do not measure the 'goodness' of a motorcycle by the occasional repair. My bike has 100K miles on it, I have had numerous failures occur, all corrected promptly and correctly under warranty (final drive leak (hold the flames), gear position indicator failure, melted gauge needles and a bunch of things I cannot remember). But I LOVE riding this bike!

I believe the most reliable motorcycle made today, especially for high mileage use, is a GoldWing (a Hondapotomus). I have the greatest respect for the company and that model. I test rode one and it was magnificent and did every single thing I expected of it and did each one very well. But riding it just did not 'do it' for me. Meh. So the fact that I might get a bike and put 75K miles on it without anything breaking would pale to something like a C-14 which has required more repair perhaps but I absolutely prefer to ride.

Brian

Hey Gary, I tell it like it is and people hate me for it...lol.

These "problematic" Kawasaki's always make the other brands look so darn reliable.

Rem :o
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2014, 05:26:40 PM »
Agreed- and I personally do not measure the 'goodness' of a motorcycle by the occasional repair. My bike has 100K miles on it, I have had numerous failures occur, all corrected promptly and correctly under warranty (final drive leak (hold the flames), gear position indicator failure, melted gauge needles and a bunch of things I cannot remember). But I LOVE riding this bike!

I believe the most reliable motorcycle made today, especially for high mileage use, is a GoldWing (a Hondapotomus). I have the greatest respect for the company and that model. I test rode one and it was magnificent and did every single thing I expected of it and did each one very well. But riding it just did not 'do it' for me. Meh. So the fact that I might get a bike and put 75K miles on it without anything breaking would pale to something like a C-14 which has required more repair perhaps but I absolutely prefer to ride.

Brian

Well said!  :thumbs:

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2014, 05:52:39 PM »
understood, my direction on that was to the O/P.
Yeah, I know, I was basically reiterating the point for ya!
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline mikeeitup

« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2014, 06:39:05 PM »
Haha thanke for the input guys. I love this bike and I realize that it's got some flaws. I had a Ninja 250, a vtx 1300. Rode my friends Buell XB9S, Road King, Ninja 650, shadow 750, gsxr1000, Duke 1198 and outta all of them this bike has my heart. So well rounded! I have a friend that charges next to nothing to work on my bike so paying him to have this done really does not bother me. I'd MUCH rather have this problem over what my Buell buddy is currently having. (Gold colored oil change last week. He's been crying into his pillow).
Mike
~Mike~
~2012 Black Connie~

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2014, 06:45:54 AM »
Where's Steve when you need him?  This thread delivers!  :finger_fing11:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2014, 06:48:30 AM »
I think he is working on a pair of cars. Want me to say it for him....?

KiPass Rocks!

There ya' go.

Brian

Where's Steve when you need him?  This thread delivers!  :finger_fing11: