Author Topic: Music options  (Read 10195 times)

Offline Afm252

Music options
« on: May 16, 2011, 07:35:47 PM »
Gents, and ladies,
What are the best earbud options for riding? I recall a good tripe flange set before the great demise, but now that I need them, I don't have the info.
Mike T
09 C14 "Turtle"
07 CBR 600rr Blue/ Silver
98 CBR 600 F3 "Desert Storm"

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Music options
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 07:43:48 PM »
What are the best earbud options for riding?

Personally, I don't think such a thing exists.  Maybe it is just my ears, but after wearing any type of ear bud for more than a short time, my ears can ache something horrible.

I use two slim speakers in my helmet.  They don't sound great, but at least there is no pain  (Well, until this Scorpion helmet, which, after sending back the large for an EXTRA LARGE, still feels too tight.. but that is another topic)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

YoDoc

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 08:04:35 PM »
Sony makes a few good pair, as do many other companies. My advice is based on running, because I don't think it's a good idea to wear earbuds while driving anything, but I would look for a pair that come with multiple fit pieces that you can change out. That way you can always change it up.

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 08:05:54 PM »
The best earbuds I ever used in terms of comfort were a cheap pair of sony over the ear buds I bought at wally world.  The sound was decent, and with the turned speaker it didn't push on my inner ear.  The over the ear part helped prevent them from slipping off when putting my helmet on.  Sound was OK, but nothing great.

Here is a link to similar ones on amazon (NO mine were not pink  8) ):

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-J10-Headphones-Non-Slip-Design/dp/B00006JILW

More recently I bought a pair of Motocomm Thumper 1s.  They look big, but actually fit in my Scorpion Exo helmet with a little put of pushing in the helmet Styrofoam in the ear area.  A lot more bass than the earbuds and an added bonus is I can wear my ear plugs to keep out the wind and still hear the music pretty well.

http://www.amazon.com/Motocomm-Thumper-Enhanced-Speakers-THUMPER/dp/B0022ZN7OC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305597823&sr=8-1
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 08:22:07 PM »
More recently I bought a pair of Motocomm Thumper 1s.  They look big, but actually fit in my Scorpion Exo helmet with a little put of pushing in the helmet Styrofoam in the ear area.

OMG- they are 1/2" thick???!!  And you were able to somehow put those into a Scorpion EXO?  I can barely get the EXO on my head, I can't imagine fitting something like those in there!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 08:26:21 PM »
OMG- they are 1/2" thick???!!  And you were able to somehow put those into a Scorpion EXO?  I can barely get the EXO on my head, I can't imagine fitting something like those in there!

Well to be fair, I wear an XL in every helmet brand except Scorpion which I had to up to a XXL and it already comes with no padding in the ear area so between the larger helmet and the lack of padding, 1/2" really wasn't that much.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline COGnosticat0r

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 02:58:19 AM »
Etymotic ER6i
Plugup S Plug
Skullcandy

To mention a few
Jerry Holland
COG 4478
2013 C14
"Man, you were haulin' ass the other day when I passed you"

Offline Gearhead82

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 07:07:55 AM »
Take a look at the Bose IE2 (or MIE2 or MIE2i if you want to be able to control your iPod/iPhone from the little remote like the standard Apple ones have).  They are by far the best earbuds I've ever used.  The unique little silicone tips they use make them extremely comfortable and they won't fall out of your ear.  I haven't tried them under a helmet yet but they work fantastic at the gym.  Sound great too.  And Bose has a great return policy if you buy them and don't like them.  Plus they are not the kind that go way deep in your ear canal that block out all other noise.  They still allow you to hear a little bit of environmental noise at lower volumes which might be a plus for driving.

http://www.amazon.com/Bose-326223-0030-Bose%C2%AEMIE2i-mobile-headset/dp/B0043WCH66/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305637392&sr=8-1

'09 C14, Area P Full System, BMC, Flies out, PCV

Offline S.Ga.Rider

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 07:10:42 AM »
I used the er6is for several years and recently upgraded to the hf5s.

Offline Reid

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 09:36:51 AM »
Sennheiser model  CX475 $59.95 at Best Buy.  Best sound I have heard in an earbud so far.  I use it with my Sena SMH10 headset.  Music, phone calls and intercom all crystal clear and plenty of sound.
2008 C-14 (Silver Belle)
Russell Daylong seat
Cal-Sci windshield
S.Ga. AAD

Offline PH14

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 09:45:32 AM »
I used the er6is for several years and recently upgraded to the hf5s.

I will second this. I use the Etymotic Research ER6i earbuds and they are very good. I can ride comfortably with them all day. I am planning on getting custom molds done for them but haven't gotten around to doing the impression for them yet. As they are they are comfortable for me and I usually have issues with ear plugs or ear buds. I rode 450 miles with them yesterday and had no problems. I was listening to an audio book. You don't have to crank the volume while wearing these, you can listen at a safe level so you don;t have to worry about hurting your ears.

Offline Shadowofshoe

• Arena
  • Mastiff pup/human pup
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 02:39:10 PM »

I would always just mod headphones into my helmet(not hard really!)...it allows ambient noise to your ears and sounds well....ok-I think buds by design add more challenge than necessary to safe riding.

Mike

Sooooo....we are about to be a Nation that makes you prove you have insurance-but it's not necessary to prove that you are indeed a Citizen of that Nation?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 04:38:14 PM »
   I would always just mod headphones into my helmet(not hard really!)...it allows ambient noise to your ears and sounds well....ok-I think buds by design add more challenge than necessary to safe riding.

Ear buds are NOT ear phones.  They do not block any ambient noise at all.

That said, even with ear phones (which do block ambient)- the amount of ambient they block varies greatly.  And volumes don't have to be as loud in the first place.  There are times I ride with earplugs AND listening to music through helmet headphones....  but even then, I can hear just as much ambient noise as I can in my luxury car with the windows rolled up and the music on at a reasonable volume.

Just saying

Headphones:  speakers sit completely outside of ear- compact/modern ones are usually "open air" and block no ambient noise.  Heavy models can have ear cups that surround the entire outer ear and block some ambient noise.

Ear buds:  tiny speakers sit near the ear canal but not in it, usually inside the outer ear and behind the ear "tab"

Ear phones: speakers inside ear plugs that enter the ear canal and seal, blocking significant ambient noise

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 05:15:47 PM »
I've tried many kinds and my favorite are the $30 Sony earbuds.  Sound quality is very good and they are very comfortable.  I've used them several times for all day and all weekend rides.  Unless helmet mounted speakers get a lot better in sound quality than the ones I've tried, I'm sticking with earbuds.

Offline Shadowofshoe

• Arena
  • Mastiff pup/human pup
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 07:01:16 PM »
Ear buds are NOT ear phones.  They do not block any ambient noise at all.

That said, even with ear phones (which do block ambient)- the amount of ambient they block varies greatly.  And volumes don't have to be as loud in the first place.  There are times I ride with earplugs AND listening to music through helmet headphones....  but even then, I can hear just as much ambient noise as I can in my luxury car with the windows rolled up and the music on at a reasonable volume.

Just saying

Headphones:  speakers sit completely outside of ear- compact/modern ones are usually "open air" and block no ambient noise.  Heavy models can have ear cups that surround the entire outer ear and block some ambient noise.

Ear buds:  tiny speakers sit near the ear canal but not in it, usually inside the outer ear and behind the ear "tab"

Ear phones: speakers inside ear plugs that enter the ear canal and seal, blocking significant ambient noise

So like I said?

Mike

Sooooo....we are about to be a Nation that makes you prove you have insurance-but it's not necessary to prove that you are indeed a Citizen of that Nation?

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 07:37:22 PM »
I have a set of Skullcandy ear phones. They only cost 10 bucks at Radioshack, and have a lifetime warranty. I bought them because they are cheap, but found out they sound great, and block a great deal of outside noise. They are pretty delicate looking, and will probably give out to to the unique stress helmet use places on them. The price however, is cheap enough to buy 2 pair, and have one as a backup when You send them out for warranty replacement.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline gflint

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2011, 09:26:59 PM »
I found that my helmet determined what I used for music options.  My present helmet (Scorpoin) fits so closeI cannot use my ear buds, they hurt.  My old helmet had lots of space over the ears so there was room for the buds.  My first helmet I took some over the ear speakers and cut the helmet foam to get them in.  That was the most convenient but the poorest music quality, lots of wind noise.  The ear buds deadened wind noise and had better music.  Right now I have to find new ear buds that fit in the ear very flush.
Keep it simple - if no one has shot at me or tried to blow me up it is a good day.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 05:30:15 AM »
So like I said? 

Perhaps I misread what you wrote, but to me it looked like you were implying that ear buds reduced ambient noise and were unsafe.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2011, 05:31:58 AM »
  My first helmet I took some over the ear speakers and cut the helmet foam to get them in.

!!!! WARNING:  Cutting or modifying the foam can SEVERELY degrade the safety function of the helmet in ways it might not be possible to predict!!!!

OK, that warning aside, I do wonder how much a big deal it is...

Offline Pynikal

• From power cruiser to power tourer.
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 06:39:26 AM »
man i hope that i can find a set or ear buds that dont kill my ears.....

i wish you could test drive ear buds....