Author Topic: replacement ignition key  (Read 6581 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: replacement ignition key
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2014, 07:05:03 AM »
Well ok then, back to the key. When I bought my extra keys for the side cases I was surprised Kawasaki decided to use mirror image blanks. So you have to be careful which blank you buy. Do you think they did that to double the possible key permutations? Do they do that with cars? I've never seen that before.

Offline jwh20

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2014, 07:27:30 AM »
Well ok then, back to the key. When I bought my extra keys for the side cases I was surprised Kawasaki decided to use mirror image blanks. So you have to be careful which blank you buy. Do you think they did that to double the possible key permutations? Do they do that with cars? I've never seen that before.

I doubt that was the reason.  Perhaps someone ordered a bunch of the wrong type of key and they decided to use them rather than send them back.  Who knows.  It's a real PITA if you ask me and I can't imagine it adds to security in any way.  If someone wants into your saddlebags, lack of a key is not going to stop them.  As you know, a good stiff pull will take them right off and I'm sure a quick slam to the ground will pop them open.

Offline 1jeep

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2014, 07:43:01 AM »
since were now onto saddlebags, has anyone ever trid to make it so you dont need the key to open the saddlebags? thsi si one of my biggest complaints and i can say one big thing i liked about my harley, i didnt need the key to open the bag!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2014, 07:50:40 AM »
since were now onto saddlebags, has anyone ever trid to make it so you dont need the key to open the saddlebags? thsi si one of my biggest complaints and i can say one big thing i liked about my harley, i didnt need the key to open the bag!

That's exactly why I got extra keys made. I cut one down and epoxied it into small black knob and keep it in the bag locks 99% of the time so I don't have to fish out a key every time I need to get into a bag. The only time i pull it out is parking someplace for a long time (over night at a motel) or if I have something particularly valuable in the bag.

Offline Locksmith

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2014, 07:56:48 AM »
Yes, you are correct. They do that to increase the number of possible keys. Car manufacturers do it, but usually not in quite the same way. They don't want to sell the same key twice in the same market.