Author Topic: zx14 owners  (Read 30776 times)

Offline petepro

Re: zx14 owners
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2014, 08:43:58 AM »
You have to understand that they paid quite a bit more than what we pay for our bikes.  It has to be faster... ::)
Does that mean mine is slower because it was bought as a left over at a good price?   Had I know I would have paid sticker price.

;D
2012 Concours 14abs - 2013 - Current
2002 BMW R1150R - 2012-2013
1995 Honda 750 Nighthawk - 2001-2009
1984 Suzuki GS1150ES - 1987

Offline clogan

« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2014, 08:50:38 AM »
I have never ridden a ZX14, but I owned a gen I Hayabusa before I got my C14. Nowadays, at my age, my C14 is plenty fast for me...shoot, most days, my KLR is plenty fast for me. I rarely venture above 70 anymore. Don't have the reflexes or fine motor skills any more.

You younger guys be careful out there!
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline tomp

« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2014, 09:13:13 AM »
I have never ridden a ZX14, but I owned a gen I Hayabusa before I got my C14. Nowadays, at my age, my C14 is plenty fast for me...shoot, most days, my KLR is plenty fast for me. I rarely venture above 70 anymore. Don't have the reflexes or fine motor skills any more.

You younger guys be careful out there!

I resemble those remarks, kinda, too.  I traded my KLR for the C14, though.  I don't ride fast either. What makes the 14 so nice is its stability at 40 mph, or 80.  That and I know I can pass on the highway so quickly, it keeps me in the passing zone for a much shorter time.   I also have a Dyna and an RT, but those don't seem to get ridden much any more.  Owning a 14R would be inviting me to hurt myself.   I'm in my mid 60's and want to continue to ride for years to come.
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2014, 09:54:28 AM »
Does that mean mine is slower because it was bought as a left over at a good price?   Had I know I would have paid sticker price.

;D

The short answer is yes.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2014, 10:03:36 AM »

;D

Only if the sticker price is more than the competitive bikes sticker price.  ;)

"how fast is my bike" formula:

((owners ability in his own mind) * (sticker price) * (color)) + ($ spent on farkles)

Son of Pappy

« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2014, 10:37:09 AM »
Well, if the C is the rare (and fastest) Silverdammit against a slow ZX (black, red, green, or blue) the difference in speed will be much less.  FWIW, the Silverdammit still loses, just not as badly ;)  Want some more badass?  Take a 1290 Superduke for a spin ;D  Rumors are there will be a 1290 Superduke ADV model soon 8)  Cake, icing, ice cream, and spakling fruit punch right there ;)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2014, 10:58:02 AM »
Well, if the C is the rare (and fastest) Silverdammit against a slow ZX (black, red, green, or blue) the difference in speed will be much less.  FWIW, the Silverdammit still loses, just not as badly ;)  Want some more badass? Take a 1290 Superduke for a spin ;D  Rumors are there will be a 1290 Superduke ADV model soon 8)  Cake, icing, ice cream, and spakling fruit punch right there ;)

I thought the 1190 Adv R uses the Superduke engine. Seems like a blurring of lines (sounds like a song) between a 1190 ADV R and a Superduke ADV.

Offline tomp

« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2014, 11:15:22 AM »
Had an opportunity to get an 08 SDR, but dealer wouldn't deal.  Thought about the 1290, but realized that being a nekked bike, any thing over legal highway speeds wouldn't be much fun, except during those few blurred seconds of Mach I. I still would like to own one, but $17K for bragging rights is kinda steep.  The C14 gives me everything I need to enjoy riding and with better wind/element protection.   

FWIW, read a couple of comparisons between the 1290 and the S1000R.  The Beemer won both times.  Go figure.  tp

Offline 1jeep

« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2014, 11:53:52 AM »
OK, thanks for the comments everyone....i guess i have the slowest bike out there....well aside from the guy that bought my old harley..lol

Anyway i guess at my age i should stop worrying about who is faster than me, as it is still fast enough to get me a big ticket or killed.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2014, 05:13:09 PM »
OK, thanks for the comments everyone....i guess i have the slowest bike out there....well aside from the guy that bought my old harley..lol

Far from it.  In no way is the Concours 14 "slow".  It has a lot of displacement in a modern, fuel injected, 16 valve, 4 cyl engine with variable cams.  It is just not a speed demon, nor is it supposed to be.  When de-flied it will beat most anything under a liter.  And it will keep up with the larger displacement sport bikes until they start to roll onto a lot of throttle.

Let's face it- you are trading top acceleration for reliability, comfort, control, capacity, and features.  It is a reasonable and logical trade if you plan on *enjoying* all aspects of riding OTHER than just raw acceleration.  I have been riding the C14 for over 3.5 years now and I still have not pushed it to its maximum... and even if I did, there is so rarely the need.  But I enjoy all the other aspects every time I ride it.

Anyway i guess at my age i should stop worrying about who is faster than me

All people could benefit from THAT advice, regardless of age.

as it is still fast enough to get me a big ticket or killed.

And you can do that on ANY bike.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline tomp

« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2014, 06:01:28 PM »
Just got back from a ride, and even though the heat index was almost 110, I had a ball.  Back roads at 55MPH (2.5K rpm) is so smooth and sedate.  The ability to pass slower vehicles in a few seconds, and just knowing that the bike is happy at 35, 55, 85, 125+ all day long, in comfort, makes this a great bike for me. 

People look at me with my white mustache and beard and wonder, " Why is that old dude on that cool motorcycle?".  I just smile and wave, and realize I am possibly having the fun time that they may never have.  I could never fully appreciate a 10R or 14R, for what they would bring to the table, but would still enjoy riding them.   

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2014, 03:08:25 AM »
Let's face it- you are trading top acceleration for reliability, comfort, control, capacity, and features.  It is a reasonable and logical trade if you plan on *enjoying* all aspects of riding OTHER than just raw acceleration.  I have been riding the C14 for over 3.5 years now and I still have not pushed it to its maximum... and even if I did, there is so rarely the need.  But I enjoy all the other aspects every time I ride it.

I don't feel like trading too much. Having made more miles on S1000RR and K1600 than some owners of those bikes, the only place I can say those machines make a slight difference is in the Autobahn, where you can open the S1000RR (meaning above 150 mph), or enjoy the (not much) extra comfort on the K1600. Other than that, in the real world (or my world, perhaps) the C14 beats them, and it costs less. It can take me and my luggage everywhere and hit the curves. The other two are only good at one of those things.
Reliability wise, perfect record so far after 60 000 miles and truly beating the hell out of it.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline 1jeep

« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2014, 05:25:41 AM »
Ok...now that the temps are cooling down a bit in new england i have been reminded why i have a c14 and not a zx. it was nice this monring to push that button and make the shield go up, also turn on the grip heaters, temp was 47 @630am.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2014, 06:47:52 AM »
I don't feel like trading too much. Having made more miles on S1000RR and K1600 than some owners of those bikes, the only place I can say those machines make a slight difference is in the Autobahn, where you can open the S1000RR (meaning above 150 mph), or enjoy the (not much) extra comfort on the K1600. Other than that, in the real world (or my world, perhaps) the C14 beats them, and it costs less. It can take me and my luggage everywhere and hit the curves. The other two are only good at one of those things.
Reliability wise, perfect record so far after 60 000 miles and truly beating the hell out of it.

I agree completely. That's the bottom line on a C14, not the fastest and not the most comfortable but an outstanding trade off of the 2.

Offline BobK

« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2014, 02:40:36 PM »
Sorry, I'm a little late to this thread but I own both a 2011 C14 and a 2012 ZX14R and to try to compare the two doesn't make sense as they were built for two different riding in mind. But if people on the Beemer forums think any of their bikes can take a 14R is laughable I have trounced several S1000s from any speed you would like and they are out of steam in the 180mph range and I have had mine to 205 MPH with only a pipe and a de-resrticted ECU. I have raced Busas and had to ask when it was over if they were really racing and if they were shifting at redline because I beat them so bad it was embarrassing. As far as motor skills and speed I'm almost seventy and enjoy the speed as much as I did when I was 20. I only hope the Kawi makes the bike that they applied for patents on (supercharged 14R) now that would be a bike to reckon with!

Offline tomp

« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2014, 02:50:19 PM »
;D  Rumors are there will be a 1290 Superduke ADV model soon 8)  Cake, icing, ice cream, and spakling fruit punch right there ;)

Not just rumors now.  Pretty close to perfect...Built off the 1190 platform, just mucho faster.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2014, 04:23:25 PM »
They might be your DREAM ...
But GOD are they U G L Y  :chugbeer:
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2014, 04:24:44 PM »
+1 and I'd add an F to ugly.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline tomp

« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2014, 04:32:47 PM »
They might be your DREAM ...
But GOD are they U G L Y  :chugbeer:

KTM's, like single malt scotch, are an acquired taste.  Extremely angular in design, but when you are riding one, all that goes away.  Until I owned one, I thought "fugly", too, but  man those Austrians do know how to make a great motorcycle.  Now if they were a little cheaper to buy.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2014, 06:40:36 PM »
eye of the beholder....this is  :censored: ugly....