Author Topic: Anyone have this on their exhaust?  (Read 5658 times)

AlbertaDoug

Anyone have this on their exhaust?
« on: July 12, 2014, 06:29:22 PM »
I've had this white paste show up twice now, initially I thought it was bird dung. Well it showed up again today.
After further investigation it is also on the bottom cowling. I wonder if this is the side where the overflow for the rad is. Time to buy a service manual. 

Offline jwh20

Re: Anyone have this on their exhaust?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 04:33:26 AM »
Looks like "road" water to me not coolant.  Usually coolant residue has a green tint to it.  My guess is this is water being kicked up by the front tire and into the lower cowling.  It's then running back and eventually getting sprayed here.

Offline Drugless

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 06:09:00 AM »
Not condensation in the catalytic converter like mine? I live in a very humid environment and always get a drop or two of water at the join of the exhaust pipes.
It's better to be thought of as a fool than to open your mouth and confirm the fact. (Like I always do)
Previous bikes-
  Yamaha FJ1200 ('85)
  BMW R1200RT ('05)

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 09:06:25 AM »
Not condensation in the catalytic converter like mine? I live in a very humid environment and always get a drop or two of water at the join of the exhaust pipes.

Relatively low humidity here, highest it's been in 4 days is 60%. Something to consider though.
As well no road water present.  But I did wash the bike the day before my ride, might be soap residue, bike is garage stored.
KISS i(keep it simple stupid) s the way to look at it for me.  :P :nuts:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 10:44:19 AM »
Relatively low humidity here, highest it's been in 4 days is 60%. Something to consider though.
As well no road water present.  But I did wash the bike the day before my ride, might be soap residue, bike is garage stored.
KISS i(keep it simple stupid) s the way to look at it for me.  :P :nuts:

:yikes:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline PH14

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 12:24:55 PM »
I'm having trouble figuring out what that is on the pipe, my bike has it all over. I'm thinking you should stop cleaning your bike so much.  ;D

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 01:11:22 PM »
Quite..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 05:22:08 PM »
I'm having trouble figuring out what that is on the pipe, my bike has it all over. I'm thinking you should stop cleaning your bike so much.  ;D
The smell of all the casualties at this time of year is so special when fresh.  ;D

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 06:05:32 PM »
selfie?

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 06:14:13 PM »
selfie?
Lmao.  ;D :finger_fing11:
 :popcorn: Me Myself and Irene

Offline BMahar

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 06:36:38 PM »
  Just a guess, but the battery box is above where the stain is appearing, have you checked the battery for cracks or leaks ?
  Brent
2011 Concours ABS, Black

Offline PH14

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 07:23:01 PM »
The smell of all the casualties at this time of year is so special when fresh.  ;D

:rotflmao:

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 07:52:55 PM »
  Just a guess, but the battery box is above where the stain is appearing, have you checked the battery for cracks or leaks ?
  Brent
Battery is good and no residue in or around the box. Just pulled it and all is good. 

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 10:10:47 PM »

Ug, don't remind me.  I just got home from riding back from Richmond.  I left at dusk on rt5... what a mess.  The Concours is absolutely plastered in insect guts :(
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2014, 06:47:55 PM »
Turns out that this little mess was caused by a loose clamp on the water pump hose. Any time the engine exceeded 7000rpm it would weep. The hose didn't like the temps in the mountains the other day.
Woke up to dripping rad fluid Friday with first start. Went to the Kawasaki dealer in Cranbrook BC to have them deal with it. They Tightened the clamp and topped up fluid then no issues above 7000rpm.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 07:40:16 AM »
Interesting, I have seen that exact thing on my bike. I just assumed it was crap from the road. Time to check the coolant level and hoses.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2014, 11:59:37 AM »
One of the funniest things I've ever done is to put some rad fluid below my friend's BMW in my garage before a trip.  He was so freaked.  I nearly peed my pants I was laughing so hard. (Disclaimer:  it was only a little bit and was promptly wiped up.  No animals inhabited the garage.)

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2014, 12:01:11 PM »
 :rotflmao: nice play

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2014, 12:06:45 PM »
One of the funniest things I've ever done is to put some rad fluid below my friend's BMW in my garage before a trip.  He was so freaked.  I nearly peed my pants I was laughing so hard. (Disclaimer:  it was only a little bit and was promptly wiped up.  No animals inhabited the garage.)

Hmmmm.. Great joke. I'm going to try that with my brother.