Author Topic: Valve check, almost perfect  (Read 2633 times)

Offline zxjack

Valve check, almost perfect
« on: March 16, 2013, 07:36:20 PM »
Hi All,
Not many posts in the last year and half.  Lots going on.  Sorry.  Finally got around to checking the valves on my 2010 C14 today with 17,400 miles.  I just purchase the 36 month GTPP from Ultimate Cylce last week so I figured I better check them for warranty purposes.  They were quick and I have already received my extended warranty card from Kaw.  I have Fred's dvds and read many threads on this great board to prepare.  All exhaust valves were .008".  All intake valves were .005" or a tight .006".  I checked them twice as I couldn't believe I was that fortunate.  Are there many others with these results on there first check?  If so I'm really impressed with Kawasaki initial build and setup quality.  I went ahead and installed new NGK iridium plugs since I was in there and local Advance Auto had 4 in stock.  I know probably a waste of $42.00 w/tax but easy to do now with the valve cover off.  I'm debating on the throttle body synch before I put it back together. 

I'm really happy with the C14.  I have had no problems other than the rare FI error engine off issue.  I average 40 - 45 mpg actual depending on how much I use econo map.  I've always used Mobile One 15w-50 in all my motorcycles after break in.  I had a 2008 C14 as well as a ZX-14 and a GL1800 in the last 10 years.  All were sold or traded.  Seem to average 6000 to 7000 miles a year with about 50% 2 up.  Tougher now getting the wife to go as far  without the Goldwing.  Work is a challenge too.  I'm a 55 year old union construction electrician and it can be hard to take time off.  Oh well I have a job so that is a blessing.  We'll try and ride as much as we can this year.  Thanks

Jack   

Offline thundermax

Re: Valve check, almost perfect
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 11:50:08 AM »
Congrats on the valve check!
Riding 46 years. In order, 1958 Cushman 721 Highlander, 1960 Cushman Super Eagle, 1971 Honda SL 100, 1974 Yamaha RD 350, 1975 Honda 750 Four, 1971 Honda SL 175, 1998 Yamaha Vmax, 2005 Yamaha Vmax, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2012 Kawasaki Concours Arabian Red.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 02:00:02 PM »
My first valve check was at 28,600 miles. All exhaust were .008 - .009 and all intake were .006 with one .0065.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 02:36:49 PM »
good job, it's good that you did the check, as the check isn't as involved as an actual re-shim. Now you know where they sit, and can assuredly be confident of the actual readings (unlike dropping it off, and having a service tech tell you they were "all fine").
Might want to install some rubber hoses on the vac lines now, while it's apart, and route them over to the left side of the engine, and then do a CHECK on the throttlebody readings, not necessarily mess with them unless they are off...again, the check is easy. Then cap them off for the future, making the adjust ment much easier if needed.

again, good on you for checking. ;)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline zxjack

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 03:35:17 PM »
Thanks guys.  I was really dreading pulling the cams.  I'll go ahead and install the hoses and check the throttle bodies.  I have a mercury type gauge I bought 10 years ago and never used.  Would it be acceptable or should I buy something new?  Weather looks crappy here in WV for the next couple of weeks so I have time to order something.  Need to order an air cleaner and still deciding on K & N or factory.  Probably going with K & N since it's only like $20.00 more and should last the life of the bike.  Still not sure if I can justify the Guhl reflash (even though I would love to) but I guess they can adjust for the air filter.  I need to research more posts.  I've been a member on this site and the first one since summer fall of 2008.  So many helpful people and great info.  Thanks again everyone.

Jack

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 05:11:34 PM »
if the hoses on the old gage are good, it should be fine, just don't rev the engine.... ::) the downfall
 of the sticks...  you just need to do a comparo, and may not need to adjust anything.
if you do need to adjust, might want a newer system like a twinMax, or other generic system.

just an FYI, the factory airfilter is a good one, and it works well, I cannot justify a K&N for the price on the C14, especially being as it requires oiling...which can be a mess, and disrupt critical sensors. just my opinion. I have no issues with K&N on the old C10 tho, as the factory filters on those always disintegrated...and were subject to issues.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Motornoggin

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 08:33:04 PM »
I just got done with my valves.

20,700 miles on it and was hoping for just an inspection. All but three were tight, and those three wereright on the edge.

I ended up re-shimming them all toward the loose end of the range to gain some interval (may not need to adjust them again).

It was a big job, but I enjoy working on my stuff.

Offline zxjack

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 08:04:46 PM »
It's a big job just getting to them! I'm so glad I didn't have to pull cams.  Congrats on your success.  I'm waiting on a K & N filter and going to at least install vaccuum lines from throttle bodies before closing things back up.  Might check throttle body synch.  It just runs so well now, idles smoothly and gets good gas mileage.  Have a great week.

Jack