Author Topic: I'm gonna get flashed.  (Read 2826 times)

Offline Dirtiegirtie

• Arena
I'm gonna get flashed.
« on: September 13, 2021, 12:02:16 PM »
I really like my Concours, with the exception of one thing... the jerky on/off nature of the throttle. Unless I am accelerating hard, I simply can't get a smooth gear change without WAY too much concentration. I thought it was just me until I started reading a few reviews of the various flashes available... they totally hit the nail on the head for exactly what I was experiencing! I have to really concentrate on gear changes to try to make them somewhat smooth. Have a passenger on the back? Even more of my energy was dedicated to making the shift as smooth as possible so I didn't get a helmet-to-helmet smack from the wife on the back. Since this lines up exactly with some flash reviews I've decided to take the plunge. I've used Ivan for other flashes (last one was a Raider) and have been nothing but happy with the results, so I'm going to use him again.

Fingers crossed that I'll be able to make a full review of Ivan's flash in a week's time from today. If it does nothing but smooths out the jerkiness I feel when shifting, then it will be worth it to me. (But a little more low end torque and running cooler wouldn't be a bad thing either.  ;) )

Tonight I take the ECU out for shipping.

To be continued...

Offline Coomers

Re: I'm gonna get flashed.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 06:52:44 AM »
If you liked your Conny before Ivan's flash you will love it after his flash.

Ivan's (and probably others) flash will fix your issues and give you so much more.

Enjoy,

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 08:01:14 AM »
I didn't see any pricing info on Ivan's website.  Do you have that info available?

Offline Mr2U

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 09:33:27 AM »
i did the mountain runner flash with Steve in Florida, fantastic results.

Offline Charliedog

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2021, 02:33:30 PM »
+1 on the Mountain Runner flash from Steve in Florida.  I had the 89-octane flash done, and it is the best $ I've spent on the bike since getting it.
CharlieDog
Bristol, TN

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 05:07:45 PM »
I prefer my Mountain Runner Premium from Shoodaben... I save big time  money on not having to replace brake pads all the time because Shoodaben's customers    requested  engine braking and Steve made it an option if you prefer it.
  Ivans is good but he only has the one flash and in  that flash he removes engine braking and Ivan will tell you that he does not use the Secondary  throttle plates.  The end result for consumers... more choices... win win.. get what you want.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Shoe

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 08:42:01 AM »
Has anyone here read the thread on the COG forum about the EPA cracking down on businesses that modify factory emissions modules. They are not targeting m/c owners. They are targeting performance tuners.
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline Dirtiegirtie

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2021, 11:09:16 AM »
Has anyone here read the thread on the COG forum about the EPA cracking down on businesses that modify factory emissions modules. They are not targeting m/c owners. They are targeting performance tuners.

I have not heard that. I did read this a while back:
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a37262122/what-californias-new-ecu-law-means-for-tuned-cars/

Offline Thunderlizard

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2021, 07:33:03 PM »
I had mine flashed with Mountain Runner (Shoodaben), then Mountain Runner Premium, and while I loved the added performance, I could never get used to the engine braking. I went back to Steve and had him reflash it without the braking, and a little added zip as you roll on the throttle. I absolutely love it.
Here's my post where I shared my experience. Having said that, there are 31 flavors at the ice cream store for a reason - do the research and use your best judgment for what you would like best and you'll be happy! Good luck!

https://zggtr.org/index.php?topic=25083.0
I never ride alone...my Lord and Savior is always with me.

2016 GTR1400 Silver, Shoodaben Hammer Flash! Puig Windshield, AVT PullBack Risers, Grabon Covers, AVT Peg Lowers, Wireless Phone Ram Mount, Canyon Bars with Foot Pegs, Sheepskin Saddle cover, AST Backrest and luggage rack... More to come...
Instagram: markjamesholland

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2021, 07:58:31 AM »
Dirtiegirtie, did you get your bike Flashed?
If so, ride report?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Dirtiegirtie

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2021, 10:56:08 AM »
I took the ECU out Monday night of last week and packed it up thinking I would be able to go to the post office during lunch.
Tuesday - 'Emergency mtg' during lunch so I didn't ship it.
Wednesday - 'Emergency mtg' during lunch so I didn't ship it.
Thursday I went to the post office and shipped it overnight from here in Massachusetts to Ivan down in NC. This was about 11am in the morning.
Friday it was delivered around noon. Ivan gave me a call around 3:30 so I could be on the phone while he ran my credit card, and also tell me how much it would cost to ship back.
Tuesday (yesterday) if was delivered back to my house. After work I ran home, plugged it in, and rode a total of 0.5 miles as I had to get to soccer practice, as I'm one of the coaches.

So, my ride report? I can't give it just yet. But here are my observations right off the bat:
  -  The bike idled much higher than normal... until it heated up ahead of my brief ride. Ivan includes directions on adjusting the idle, but I don't know that it's needed just yet.
  -  Easier shifting? OMG, that was my major concern and it is SOOOO much better (based on literally less than 2 minutes of riding). When I give a real ride review I will definitely expand on this... If I can 'forget' about shifting, meaning it's just instincts, then I consider it a huge win. Prior to the flash I had to concentrate way too hard on shifting smoothly.

Weather looks like rain for the next few days, but I'll definitely get a good ride in this weekend.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2021, 03:34:34 PM »
When I give a real ride review I will definitely expand on this... If I can 'forget' about shifting, meaning it's just instincts, then I consider it a huge win.

Just wait.
With a reflashed C14, the shifting is just icing on the cake.  The power responsiveness is what is really impressive.   From even below 4K through 6K it will feel like someone finally removed a wet rag from the intake.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Cuda

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2021, 06:20:46 PM »
Do you always tell the world everything your going to do? :o

This reads like nothing but a advertisement for ....

Steve has spent a lot of time changing things around because not everyone wants the same thing, so he has many options and is always willing to up grade or change someone's flash to make them happy, I first had the other flash and Steve's is better by far, I've had my bike 10 years now with a few track days mixed in.
Good Day
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Dirtiegirtie

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2021, 07:24:18 AM »
Do you always tell the world everything your going to do? :o

This reads like nothing but a advertisement for ....

Steve has spent a lot of time changing things around because not everyone wants the same thing, so he has many options and is always willing to up grade or change someone's flash to make them happy, I first had the other flash and Steve's is better by far, I've had my bike 10 years now with a few track days mixed in.
Good Day

Wow... ok. So the most recent thread started by you should be considered "Nothing but an advertisement for ZERO motorcycles"... is that correct? Or are you "just telling the world what you are doing"?
http://zggtr.org/index.php?topic=25112.msg312554#msg312554

I said nothing negative of any member or anyone doing flashes, only that I have had positive experiences with Ivan on other bikes. Whereas you have decided to inject your opinion of "Steve's is better by far", and by comparison, taking an obvious swipe at someone that flashes ECUs.

As we are lucky to get two posts a day, I figured folks would be interested. If you are not, feel free to ignore my posts.

Offline Dirtiegirtie

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2021, 05:49:48 AM »
Well, I got about 2 hours in this weekend. My opinions of the flash are:

- Easier shifting: This was the most important thing to me and the flash greatly improved it. Is it as smooth and seamless as other bikes I've owned? No. But compared to what it was? It's a ton easier/less stressful to ride.

- Less tingling in hands: Before the flash my throttle hand would tingle after 10 minutes. I tried Grip Puppies, and it definitely helped, but still after 15 minutes or so my hand was tingling. Now I can go much longer (maybe 30 minutes?) before the tingling starts and it never gets as bad as before.

- More low end torque: I can definitely feel a big difference in first gear. It's just a bit easier to get started and she pulls much lower in revs. But, to be honest, I can't tell a big difference in other gears. Probably because I don't normally give her excessive throttle at low RPMs in other gears, I just downshift.

Is it worth the $350? Well, it is to me. Will other flashes give you similar results to Ivan's? I would assume any of the 'well known' options for the Concours would. But I've had friends (with other sport bikes) use some very small/local guys and get a flash done for $150. I'm usually a proponent of buying local, but I can't imagine any of the local guys putting in sufficient saddle time in their own Concours as Steve or Ivan have done... so I don't think I'll every use one of them.

Ride safe!

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2021, 07:55:11 AM »
Thanks DG. Good report.

I have 1 question/thought or 2 on your report.

On the Flash I have (MRP) the improvement in low end Torque was more noticeable in the higher gears.
I found that I didn't have the need to downshift when I want to (normally) accelerate.
ie; The bike has enough torque to easily pull out and go around a car or ride 2 up.

Have you not tried that, or are you so used to downshifting that you downshift without thinking?
I suggest (on your next ride) don't downshift as quickly and let the torque work for you.

Also, you didn't mention if the bike feels more powerful/faster??
"Everyone wants faster"! <evil grin>
ie; When you do "downshift and gas it", does it do better than it did previously?
On the Flash I have the improvement in power is very noticeable.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Dirtiegirtie

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2021, 01:30:48 PM »
Thanks DG. Good report.

I have 1 question/thought or 2 on your report.

On the Flash I have (MRP) the improvement in low end Torque was more noticeable in the higher gears.
I found that I didn't have the need to downshift when I want to (normally) accelerate.
ie; The bike has enough torque to easily pull out and go around a car or ride 2 up.

Have you not tried that, or are you so used to downshifting that you downshift without thinking?
I suggest (on your next ride) don't downshift as quickly and let the torque work for you.

Also, you didn't mention if the bike feels more powerful/faster??
"Everyone wants faster"! <evil grin>
ie; When you do "downshift and gas it", does it do better than it did previously?
On the Flash I have the improvement in power is very noticeable.

Ride safe, Ted

I really can't answer your first question; you are correct that I don't have much of a baseline to compare it to (pre-flash) as I always downshift if I'm going to accelerate with any kind of urgency.

Does it feel faster? Yeah! But it's just one "butt-dyno" so take it for what it's worth. ;)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2021, 03:24:48 PM »
ie;

That was also what I noticed on both the Guhl and MRP.  In addition, the "lag" between 4K and 6K was gone.  Very noticeable on both.  The MRP (Steve's flash) also much better handled shifting and smoothness (so it was a definite upgrade over the Guhl flash).

But I also noticed that Dirtiegirie has only owned a C14 only about a month ago.  Had I been riding this bike for such a short time, it would have been harder to notice the differences, since I was still in "learning" and "timid" mode.  That might be a factor.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Dirtiegirtie

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2021, 05:16:03 PM »
But I also noticed that Dirtiegirie has only owned a C14 only about a month ago.  Had I been riding this bike for such a short time, it would have been harder to notice the differences, since I was still in "learning" and "timid" mode.  That might be a factor.

Maxtog - I absolutely agree, I don't have enough saddle time with the concours to really notice. As a point of reference, I still haven't touched the rev limiter. This weekend was the first time I got her even close (maybe up over 9k?), so you are absolutely right. This is definitely the fastest bike I've ever had. My last bike, a Yamaha Raider, was incredibly fast off the line (all low end torque). Before the concours I would gander the fastest bike I had to date was a 2002 Honda Magna (V4 Cruiser). The magazines put it at around 11.5s 1/4 mile... still a full second slower than the Concours (at least according to the magazines).