Author Topic: Hello World.  (Read 4781 times)

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
Re: Hello World.
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2011, 03:40:27 PM »
Just a quick note.

SISF's mods (exhaust sprocket, jet kits, etc.) are designed to improve the low/midrange rpm performance of the bike.  In stock trim, the bike has a flat spot in the midrange, and could use a little more low end torque.

SISF has an economy and a power jet kit, both of which incidentally increase the efficiency/mpg of the bike (obviously, the economy kit gives a bigger boost to MPG), all while at the same time improving bike performance across the board.  These jets aren't targetted at full throttle HP, rather at increasing the power/torque band across the board.

His exhaust cam mod adjusts the timing of the exhaust cam, so that the airflow works a little better, incidentally increasing the low end torque of the bike (I've heard the term tractor used a few times).

The bafflectomy anyone can do, and who knows, it may have already been done to your bike.  Get a 1" or so drill bit and a 12" extension, or a piece of rebar and a hammer, drill/poke out the baffles in the exhaust cans, and voila!  This increases low end torque a bit, and makes the bike sound a little meaner (not overly so, though).  Of course, if you like a slightly quieter bike, don't do this!

With all that said, while we all absolutely love our Connies for various reasons (nice performance, good reliability, most issues easy to fix, etc.), it may or may not be the bike for you.

Good luck!
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline BrianM

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2011, 05:01:45 PM »
Lol...  you understand that the Ninja 250 has 13 ft/lb of max torque.  The Connie has more than that at idle (I assume, the lowest I can find on a dyno graph shows 50ft/lb at 2k rpm)... it IS a tractor.  Just doesn't sound/ride like one, that was my BMW R100GS (that left me stranded on 5 out of 6 rides and was then sold).  It's all in the perspective.  I certainly don't NEED more torque, anywhere in the rev range.  And anytime I feel that way, I'll just go hop on the 250 for awhile (which I use for all local runs anyway) and recalibrate my thoughts on what's needed.  Ditto on HP (which is just a mathematical calculation based on torque and RPM).

As for the jetting, ALL motorcycles come into the US with a mid-range flat spot.  It's just a function of tuning to beat EPA testing.  It's simple to fix, and while I don't have the seat time on mine yet, I've gotten fairly good at setting them pretty dang close on the first shot.  Helps that I'm a certified Dyno operator and spent a bit of time doing nothing but carb/fi tuning. 

Bafflectomy?  *shudder*  Why would anyone want to ruin the perfectly good, nice and quiet, OEM exhaust cans?   ???   

It's all personal opinion and preference.  Nothing has made me appreciate Stock motorcycles like working on modified bikes.  I know I'm an oddball thinking that way.  I'm also an oddball for wanting a Naked 2-up/touring bike... and for a LOT of other things besides.   ;D  Doesn't mean I can't appreciate the work someone else does, or have occasional moments of lust for mods (though I'm cheap, and when it comes time to Pay for something I always back out).  I'm certainly NOT going to be spending money on something I don't know that I'll keep for very long unless it's consumable/maintenance required to keep the bike safe/running.  Well, maybe some Lexan if running completely without windshield doesn't work for me... 

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2011, 08:08:46 PM »
Approx. $30 worth of 1/8" lexan
http://web.ncf.ca/ag136/windshield.htm

Almost anything is better than the stock windshield and its upturned lip.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2011, 12:11:41 AM »
Glad you are enjoying the bike! 

BTW, SISF has SEVERAL Dyno charts comparing a stock, PROPERLY adjusted Connie (yes, we know all about the factory settings not being ideal) ,versus those with various mods, including various cam grinds, should you ever want to check his notes...

In the meantime, if it's working for ya, have fun and go ride!

2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.