Author Topic: Rush to Pass Connecticut Legislation Creates Problems with Firearms Transfers  (Read 1699 times)

Offline timsatx

• Arena
April 4, 2013

Posted In: Connecticut - Gun Trust Lawyer
By David M. Goldman on April 4, 2013 2:54 PM | Permalink

In a rush to pass legislation in CT, the new law which was passed and signed today creates some problems for individual transfers of firearms.

For example, the language in the new law specifies a procedure for licensed firearms retailers to perform mandatory "universal" background checks on private party transactions that is not permissible based on federal law and regulations governing the National Instant Criminal Background Checks (NICS) system. As we read it, this mistake in lawmaking means that all private party transactions in the state now cannot be accomplished legally unless the individual sells the firearm to a dealer and a third-party buys it from the dealer which may not longer be permitted for some firearms that are now restricted.

Many of the new provisions in the law went into effect today. We will continue to update this information as more develops.

Here is a link to a summary of the bill http://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/BA/2013SB-01160-R00-BA.htm

and a link to the full bill http://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/TOB/S/2013SB-01160-R00-SB.htm

http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/2013/04/rush-to-pass-connecticut-legis.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GunTrustLawyer+%28NFA+Gun+Trust+Lawyer+Blog%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
No doubt the law will be challenged.

Offline Strawboss

Well, they had to do something, right? Even if it was the wrong thing which it looks like happened. Legislating by emotions never works. >:(
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Old thread:

More than four year later, these laws are still in effect on a state level in CT.

All that was feared about them has come to pass, and CT residents are living with them every single day.

I will share a funny, ironic and interesting result: I live one state over, and while another liberal state, somehow we have staved off almost all of the draconian legislation that both CT and MA suffer from. One of the country's largest [large order] ammunition companies is located in the state of CT. And I am a customer of that dealer: Target Sports USA. Now, I can call or connect with their page, buy ammunition by the box, case or any number of quantities, and then have it delivered to my doorstep w/in a few days, no signature nor any human presence required. But I cannot drive to the warehouse (just over an hour from me) and pick up anything at all, no ammunition, no components, because I am NOT a resident of the state of CT. Go figure. And so it goes with US state firearms and ammunition laws: the liberal states get more restrictive with MA and CA apparently running at the top of the heap, and other states having almost no laws governing firearm sales / transfers or ammunition purchases (transfers in legalize).

And on an almost hilarious note, one of my private club ranges borders with  the state of CT: we commonly use firearms, magazines (too much capacity) and various other things that would result in felonies in CT yet are perfectly legal in RI. But we use them w/in walking distance of CT. Go figure. I hope the CT residents feel safer at any rate.

Brian

April 4, 2013

Posted In: Connecticut - Gun Trust Lawyer
By David M. Goldman on April 4, 2013 2:54 PM | Permalink

In a rush to pass legislation in CT, the new law which was passed and signed today creates some problems for individual transfers of firearms.

For example, the language in the new law specifies a procedure for licensed firearms retailers to perform mandatory "universal" background checks on private party transactions that is not permissible based on federal law and regulations governing the National Instant Criminal Background Checks (NICS) system. As we read it, this mistake in lawmaking means that all private party transactions in the state now cannot be accomplished legally unless the individual sells the firearm to a dealer and a third-party buys it from the dealer which may not longer be permitted for some firearms that are now restricted.

Many of the new provisions in the law went into effect today. We will continue to update this information as more develops.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com