Author Topic: Oil filter - Kawi or something else  (Read 9673 times)

Offline mkorn

Re: Oil filter - Kawi or something else
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2011, 05:46:37 AM »
have only used the OEM one so far (one change only 2063 miles).
i noticed the OEM is identicle to the HOnda OEM for my Nighthawk.
2009 C14 ABS
2002 750 Nighthawk (sold)
2006 DRz 400s

Offline fmwhit

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2011, 11:20:29 AM »
well here is a link that may offer some scientific help as the guy had disected several filters and posted results:

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Filters.html#OilFilters

Personally I have been using the Purolator PL14610 and have not had any problems. 

Fred

Offline olie

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2011, 02:27:42 PM »
I just looked at the K&N, KN-303 that I have sitting here. It's made in Thailand.
yes they are made by HiFlo Filtro, basically same as HF-303 with the nut. BTW, I have post this previously. I use that HF brand, different models, on my 2 bikes.

http://www.hiflofiltro.com/
13 Blue Connie, 8/4/2013
16 Green Versys 1k
11 Red Vette

Offline Shad0hawK

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2011, 07:03:55 PM »
So far it appears there is no evidence of anything better except for price and convenience.  That is what I expected but every now and then somebody discovers something new.  I learned today K&N is now Chinese.  I am not sure if that is better or worse that Japanese.  Looks like I will stick with OEM for now.

i call your question and raise with another: is there any evidence the OEM filter is any better than the others?

;)

i use the wix 51358 :)

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2011, 08:40:10 PM »
i call your question and raise with another: is there any evidence the OEM filter is any better than the others?

;)

Hate to break this to you, but there's a whole shipload of products that used to be made in Japan or [insert name of country] now made in China, including motorcycles and engine parts. As long as the product specs are met and there is no difference in product quality, little you can do about it. Those Apple iPads are made in China ya know. Japan has been sourcing products from other countries for a couple decades now.

I can remember when Japanese products were considered cheap junk.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2011, 05:08:01 AM »
Hate to break this to you, but there's a whole shipload of products that used to be made in Japan or [insert name of country] now made in China, including motorcycles and engine parts. As long as the product specs are met and there is no difference in product quality, little you can do about it. Those Apple iPads are made in China ya know. Japan has been sourcing products from other countries for a couple decades now.

I can remember when Japanese products were considered cheap junk.

Yeah, me too. Back in those days if it was made in Japan and plastic, it was junk.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2011, 08:42:50 AM »
Then don't buy K&N filter either because they are made by the same company, Champion Laboratories...

Honestly, let's quit beating this to death. If you change your oil and filter every 3000 miles/3 months, any modern day filter should be suffice (unless it's defective of corse). If buying an OEM filter makes you feel better about your bike, then do it. Same goes for K&N, Amsoil or any other brand...

I agree 100%.  I GENERALLY change my oil every 3-4k.  I am leaving for Alaska and will likely change my oil at 7k on this trip (about half way).  I'm taking the K&N filter just because that nut makes getting that filter off EASY!

Get what works for you and stick with it.  If you have ANY doubts, stick with OEM.  It's hard to go wrong there!
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline PH14

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2011, 09:08:29 AM »
I just looked at the K&N, KN-303 that I have sitting here. It's made in Thailand.

Hey, my fiance' is made in Thailand and she's quality.  ;D

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2011, 10:35:51 AM »
Hey, my fiance' is made in Thailand and she's quality.  ;D

And great food too.  ;D   :thumbs:

Offline mkorn

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2011, 10:40:25 AM »

And great food too.  ;D   :thumbs:

I am always up for a good Thai dish!
2009 C14 ABS
2006 DRz 400s

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2011, 11:51:57 AM »
have only used the OEM one so far (one change only 2063 miles).
i noticed the OEM is identicle to the HOnda OEM for my Nighthawk.

The OEM filters are made by Deso Japan. Denso Japan also makes filters for Honda, Toyota, Mazda and a few tractor manufacturers. The Denso manufacturing facility in Thailand makes a totally  different style of filter. It is more in line with Wix and Champion.

Offline Frontier

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2011, 12:47:29 PM »

From the oil filter comparisons I've read- Wix are among the best filters available and that part # 81358 is what I use on big Connie which in fact got her third oil change last weekend at 8900 miles. I buy mine at O'Rielly Auto Parts.
This same filter is marketed as NAPA Gold series. Purolator filters are also considered tops.
Since first second oil change I've been using Castrol 4T 10-40 Synthetic racing oil. Shifts smooth as butter.

Offline booger

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2011, 05:38:58 PM »
I use OEM on my cars and bikes.  I used to consider them inferior.  Now I use them as insurance.......The dealer can't say I used a bad product.

Offline mkorn

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2011, 07:52:56 PM »
I just went and looked at the filter they gave me (kawi dealer), it says Emgo, Honda on the box ... now i wonder if they gave me the wrong one.
funny thing is ... this is a kawi and ski-doo dealer ... they dont even sell Honda's ... hummm
2009 C14 ABS
2006 DRz 400s