Author Topic: Gas Mileage Test  (Read 8902 times)

Offline DocPigskin

• I'm kind of a big deal
Re: Gas Mileage Test
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2011, 12:10:29 PM »
I consistently get 50+ mpg's but I only ride when the wind is at my back and I can put it in neutral and sail with the wind  ;D

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2011, 12:29:01 PM »
I consistently get 50+ mpg's but I only ride when the wind is at my back and I can put it in neutral and sail with the wind  ;D

You must have a large back for it to act as a sail.... ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline DocPigskin

• I'm kind of a big deal
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2011, 01:22:56 PM »
Ya, I've really been working the lats.   I'm huge  ;)

Offline Graffixnfun

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2011, 02:00:34 PM »
I see 40'ish on the slab depending on how much ground I am trying to cover.  I hit the twisty bits in the hills and I think someone cut a hole in my gas tank.  I just figured redline is all the way at 10,500 so the engineers intended on me using it  ;)
2009 concours
2006 ninja 650R
2003 victory vegas

Offline Gearhead82

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2011, 07:07:15 AM »
I think it has so much more to do with aerodynamics than anything else.  I did my own little test yesterday.  I was doing about 80 on the freeway and my current mpg was bouncing between about 38-40 with me in an upright riding position and the stock windscreen lowered all the way down.  Then I tucked down behind the screen to where my chin was practically resting on the tank and maintained the same speed and my mpg immediately shot up to 48-50!  Then I sat back up in my normal position and raised the screen all the way up and the mpg was at about 44.  I think differences in rider height (and width), windscreen design and height, and the speed you're traveling determine mpg more than most other factors, at least when you're at fairly constant speeds. 
'09 C14, Area P Full System, BMC, Flies out, PCV

Bob

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2011, 08:03:21 AM »
You must have a large back for it to act as a sail.... ;)

Mine works pretty good. But it's offset by the extra rolling resistance!  ;D

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2011, 09:47:49 AM »
I keep my ship waxed!  Plexxus that wind shield, stay tucked tight, steady throttle, and I get 38mpg.  Ride in the rain, in the cold, in the heat, windshield up/down, top case on/off I get 38MPG.  I quit checking.  The gauge says filler' up and I do.  Repeat. 

I consistently got 48-50 on K1200lt riding slab cross country.  But in 5th gear at 75 she was only turning around 2500RPMS. 

Regarding that instant MPG on the bike computer.  I've seen 84mpg before!  IT will jump all over.  I was having so much fun with it, I nearly killed myself!  MUST PAY ATTENTION!  That's when I quit looking at MPGs.  I now pay attention to GPGs.  That's GRINS per Gallon!   :)
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler